Contouring is a key element of makeup. It is used to give a more chiseled look to your face. The practice originated and stayed within the drag community initially. Later, the mainstream fashion industry caught up with it. Again, for many decades, contouring was seen as something that only the models and professional makeup artists use. With time, it was adopted by common people as well. Today, there are thousands of YouTube videos to help you with contouring your face.
Contouring involves the application of a product that is a shade darker than your skin. This will push back certain features of your face. A highlighter can be used to complement this. A highlighter is a shade lighter than your skin tone. As the name suggests, it is used to highlight certain features. Contouring and highlighting combine to give an illusion of having sharper features such as – a sharp jawline, higher cheekbones, thinner nose and much more.
Contouring has become a part of everybody’s beauty routine. How does one select the best drugstore contour? Only with the best drugstore contour will one be able to restructure their face shape well. If you want the best results, you should make it look as natural as possible. The key to this is selecting the right contour shades. What are the factors that make the best drugstore contour a popular choice?
Factors to look for while buying a contour product
- The shade
If you do not pay attention while picking the shade, you might end up looking like you’ve worn a mask. While picking the contour shade, go for beige or grey tones as they look more natural. A bronzer is usually too warm.Test samples of different shades on your skin so that you get an idea. If the product is many shades darker than your skin tone, you might end up with a muddy look. It should be just one or two shades darker.
You should also make sure that your contour product has a shade that complements your undertone. Skin undertones are categorized into 3 types – cool, warm and neutral. You can make use of tutorials online to help you decide the undertone of your skin. If you have yellowish skin, it is a warm undertone. If you have pinkish skin, you have a cool undertone. If you do not see either, your skin probably falls under the neutral category.
- The texture – powder or formula?
Contour products are available in powder and formula. Powders create a matte effect that looks more natural than the creams that give a dewy finish. If you are a beginner, it is better to use a cream for contouring. Creams blend easily. You do not have to worry about harsh contour lines. For beginners, it is usually recommended to use contour products after applying the foundation. Also, make sure that you use an appropriate tool to contour. Otherwise, you will not get a natural finish.
As you gain experience, you can eventually shift to cream or liquid contours.
- The finish
Shimmery highlighters are popular. However, avoid contour products with shimmer in it. Shimmer will make it too evident that you have used makeup. When you use a shiny contour product, you end up with a confusing blend. The key to good contouring is getting the right blend, so do not use any product that will mess with the blend. Also, remember that you are using that product to hide certain features and create realistic shadows. So, avoid shimmer and shine. It is a good practice to buy only completely matte contour products.
Reviews of the best drugstore contour products
It is one of the best drugstore contour products. The contour product comes with four shades giving the user a choice of going bold or subtle. Apart from the fact that it has a customizable color palette, other highlights of the product include – it is 100% vegan, thus cruelty-free and it is free from harmful chemicals such as parabens, phthalates, triclosan, triclocarban and other chemical compounds commonly used in cosmetic products.It contains Vitamin E for the nourishment of the skin. One product is sufficient to produce a variety of looks – glam or minimalist and everything in between.
- The pans have a good quantity of the powder. Also, the large pans make it easy to dip the brushes in them.
- The palette comes with a large mirror.
- The pans can be removed and placed back into the palette.
- It works well for a wide range of skin shades.
- It blends well to hide or accentuate the features the way you wish.
- The price is reasonable for the quality you get.
- The product is dye-free and completely safe.
- The packaging is good and ensures that the product is intact until it is delivered.
It is a set of 3 creams that can be used to enhance your facial features. The shades are blend easily, which makes it one of the best drugstore contour palettes. As they are creamy, it is easy to use for beginners. The product is oil-free. You can effortlessly contour your face using the 3 shades provided in the contour palette. The product offers different options to cater to people of all skin shades. There are two options – light to medium and medium to dark. The product comes with instructions on the inside of the lid, so the user can understand how to properly use each of the three shades.
- It is easy to apply and blends well with the skin
- It stays well on the skin without using a setting spray
- It works well for oily skin too
- It comes with a color-coordinated instruction chart which is quite helpful for beginners
- Works well for multiple skin tones
- The product is of great quality at a reasonable price
- It gives a smooth and natural finish
With 6 layers of contouring palettes, this is probably the best drugstore contour product. It is a one-stop solution for the beauty needs of people with all skin shades. The six layers of contour, blush, foundation, and correctors within a single compact case are preferred by beginners and professional makeup artists alike. The makeup kit has removable pans and the layers can be interchanged according to your convenience. The manufacturer is a part of the PETA. So, all SHANY products are 100% cruelty-free.
- The products in the layers are highly pigmented and can be compared to other much expensive makeup kits
- With the number of shades provided, there are innumerable combinations that one can have, and an infinite number of looks can be created
- None of the products in the makeup kit cause a reaction on the skin. It can be safely used by people of all skin types, acne-prone ones too
- The kit is properly packaged and sealed well. There is no fear of damage while shipping
- The makeup kit is compact and easy to store
- The product comes with a compatible brush
The kit contains 6 powders overall, out of which three shades are for contouring. The powders give a matte finish that looks more natural on your face. At the same time, you can enhance your features as well. If you are a beginner and have no idea on how to contour, this is the best drugstore contour kit for you! There is a step-by-step guide with details of how to contour different parts of your face. The product’s website contains video tutorials as well, to assist the customers.
- The product lives up to its claim that it matches all skin tones
- This contour kit is affordable
- Highly recommended, especially for newcomers who need guidance
- Register on their website to order replacement powders
- The instruction booklet contains diagrams which are quite helpful
- The product comes with a high-quality packaging
- The powders are gentle on the skin and do not cause any irritation, rashes or acne
- It gives you a flawless and polished look
The product contains 3 shades for contouring. The powders are soft; hence they are easy to apply and blend perfectly on your skin. With the contour powders, you can define your cheekbones, nose, forehead, and jawline. The organization is registered under PETA’s Beauty without Bunnies Program.
So, the product is completely cruelty-free. Also, if the customer is not satisfied with the product, they can contact Elizabeth Mott for exchange or return the product and avail a refund. This palette helps customers to obtain a look that draws attention to their best features. It is perfect for everyday use. You no more have to be a professional makeup artist to give your face the best look!
- The colors are fairly long-lasting, so you do not have to reapply it multiple times within a day
- The powders do not have any odor and work well with a contour brush
- If you have the right brush, the colors apply evenly on your skin
- The contour powders are smooth
- They are moderately pigmented and go well with most skin tones
- The product comes with an instruction pamphlet which is quite informative
- It is quite affordable, and the quality is comparable to high-end contour products
- The kit comes with a large mirror and a snap latch on the outside
This is a six-color highlight and contour kit with three colors each for contouring and highlighting. The richly pigmented colors give a glow to your face. The palette is of professional quality and is 100% cruelty-free. Although a powder, the texture is almost creamy and thus provides a smooth finish on the skin.
- The product is easy to use even to beginners
- It gives the correct amount of natural contour
- The colors do not cause a break-out on the skin
- It is easy to blend
- Given the quality, the product is worth the price
- The contour shades are very smooth
Like every other part of makeup, contouring also takes time to get used to. If you are new to this, try a variety of products, experiment with the blends to learn what works perfectly for your skin shade and features. While learning how to contour, it is not advisable to spend lavishly on high-end products, as you do not know how to use them properly. Look for products that are easier on your pocket but at the same time, are of decent quality. Today, it is not hard to find affordable products online. Doing some research before buying is highly recommended.
The best drugstore contour kits are the ones that are easy to use. Newcomers need guidance on how to use these products. As each product is different, online tutorials may not always help. If the product itself comes with instruction booklets (possibly with diagrams) or video tutorials, it is better to buy such products. The best drugstore contour palettes do not make your face look cakey! How you look in the end, depends (to a great extent) on how well you use it as well. But some cheap quality powders give a flaky finish, which doesn’t look good on your face.
The best drugstore contour creams/powders provide a natural-looking matte finish. They are mostly devoid of shimmer. Also, make sure that the company offers replacement powders. Some companies provide compatible brushes with the contour product. You might want to buy such products if you do not want to spend time shopping for brushes separately.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can you contour without foundation?
A foundation cream provides an even skin tone throughout. You can contour without using foundation, but for better results apply foundation.
- How does contour makeup work?
Contouring makes use of a powder/cream that is slightly darker than your skin shade, to shadow certain features which you want to hide. It enhances the structure of the face.
- Where can I buy contour makeup?
All shops that sell cosmetic beauty products have contour palettes. You can also shop for them on many websites online.