Contouring is a key element of makeup. It is used to give a more chiseled look to your face. The practice originated and stayed within the drag community initially. Later, the mainstream fashion industry caught up with it. Again, for many decades, contouring was seen as something that only the models and professional makeup artists use. With time, it was adopted by common people as well. Today, there are thousands of YouTube videos to help you with contouring your face.
Contouring involves the application of a product that is a shade darker than your skin. This will push back certain features of your face. A highlighter can be used to complement this. A highlighter is a shade lighter than your skin tone. As the name suggests, it is used to highlight certain features. Contouring and highlighting combine to give an illusion of having sharper features such as – a sharp jawline, higher cheekbones, thinner nose, and much more.
Many people assume that contouring and bronzing the face is similar. However, that is not the case. Bronzing is more about putting warmth on your face; on the other hand, contouring is about adding shadows to your face. These shadows work magic on your face. It will make your face slimmer and make your cheeks more prominent. It will also help in defining your jawline, give a nice shape to your nose, and make your lips look fuller. You don’t have to spend a lot; even a good drugstore contour can a long way in putting the best face in the world.
Contouring is a crucial part of the makeup. A lot of foundation and concealer will make your face look flat, which is not ideal. Foundations and concealers are like a canvas, and contouring is like painting on that canvas. With contouring, you add dimension to your face. The contour color requires a deeper shade than your skin. Now let us discuss some of the benefits of contouring.
- Defines cheekbones
It is the most important benefit of contouring your face. Contouring your face can make a lot of difference on your face. It can make your face look slimmer. However, if you don’t blend it well, it might look like you have dirt on your face.
- Defines your jawlines
Defining your jawline is essential for separating your face from the neck. It can also help in disguising the double chins. Overall, it helps in shaping your face. Use the best drugstore contour brush for the best application.
- Make your nose narrow and small
The pro tip here is avoiding making your face look too narrow; it will completely alter the way you look. It makes you look artificial; you must try to keep it as natural as possible. The pro tip is to add a shadow on your nose so that you don’t look flat.
Also, add contour in the inner corner of your eyes. Adding shadow in this area will help your nose look narrow and your eye deeper.
- Make your eyes pop out
You can even contour the eye crease area, which will help you to create an illusion of deeper eyes. It will make your make-up look three-dimensional by making your eyes pop put. Doing this will also help in adding drama in the making. It is the reason why the best contour products are given so much importance in the beauty world.
Make your face look more oval in shape
If you want your face to look oval, then add some shadow in the temple area. The oval shape is ideal in makeup.
In the same way, you can use a highlighter in areas like the central part of the neck, at the center of your lips, near your brow area, chin, and nose line. It will help you in looking slimmer than usual and make some areas of the face more defined. Highlighting and contouring might seem difficult in the beginning. However, with a lot of practice, it will get easy to apply. Also, a pro tip is good lightning. If you contour your face in indoor lighting, then without realization, you might apply too much shade on your face. Hence, natural lighting as much as possible.
Now we know all the benefits of contouring and highlighting the face. Let us see some of the best drugstore makeup for contouring and highlighting. If you are a beginner and looking for the best cheap contour kit, then keep on reading the article.
Table of Contents
Best Drugstore Contour – Buying Guide
Contouring has become a part of everybody’s beauty routine. How does one select the best drugstore contour? Only with the best drugstore contour will one be able to restructure their face shape well. If you want the best results, you should make it look as natural as possible. The key to this is selecting the right contour shades. What are the factors that make the best drugstore contour a popular choice?
Factors to look for while buying a contour product
- The shade
If you do not pay attention while picking the shade, you might end up looking like you’ve worn a mask. While picking the contour shade, go for beige or grey tones as they look more natural. A bronzer is usually too warm. Test samples of different shades on your skin so that you get an idea. If the product is many shades darker than your skin tone, you might end up with a muddy look. It should be just one or two shades darker.
You should also make sure that your contour product has a shade that complements your undertone. Skin undertones are categorized into 3 types – cool, warm, and neutral. You can make use of tutorials online to help you decide the undertone of your skin. If you have yellowish skin, it is a warm undertone. If you have pinkish skin, you have a cool undertone. If you do not see either, your skin probably falls under the neutral category.
- The texture – powder or formula?
Contour products are available in powder and formula. Powders create a matte effect that looks more natural than the creams that give a dewy finish. If you are a beginner, it is better to use a cream for contouring. Creams blend easily. You do not have to worry about harsh contour lines. For beginners, it is usually recommended to use contour products after applying the foundation. Also, make sure that you use an appropriate tool to contour. Otherwise, you will not get a natural finish.
As you gain experience, you can eventually shift to cream or liquid contours.
- The finish
Shimmery highlighters are popular. However, avoid contour products with shimmer in it. Shimmer will make it too evident that you have used makeup. When you use a shiny contour product, you end up with a confusing blend. The key to good contouring is getting the right blend, so do not use any product that will mess with the blend. Also, remember that you are using that product to hide certain features and create realistic shadows. So, avoid shimmer and shine. It is a good practice to buy only completely matte contour products.
Best Drugstore Contour Reviews
It is one of the best drugstore contour products. The contour product comes in four shades giving the user a choice of going bold or subtle. Apart from the fact that it has a customizable color palette, other highlights of the product include – it is 100% vegan, thus cruelty-free and it is free from harmful chemicals such as parabens, phthalates, triclosan, triclocarban, and other chemical compounds commonly used in cosmetic products. It contains Vitamin E for the nourishment of the skin. One product is sufficient to produce a variety of looks – glam or minimalist and everything in between.
- The pans have a good quantity of powder. Also, the large pans make it easy to dip the brushes in them.
- The palette comes with a large mirror.
- The pans can be removed and placed back into the palette.
- It works well for a wide range of skin shades.
- It blends well to hide or accentuate the features the way you wish.
- The price is reasonable for the quality you get.
- The product is dye-free and completely safe.
- The packaging is good and ensures that the product is intact until it is delivered.
It is a set of 3 creams that can be used to enhance your facial features. The shades are blend easily, which makes it one of the best drugstore contour palettes. As they are creamy, it is easy to use for beginners. The product is oil-free. You can effortlessly contour your face using the 3 shades provided in the contour palette. The product offers different options to cater to people of all skin shades. There are two options – light to medium and medium to dark. The product comes with instructions on the inside of the lid, so the user can understand how to properly use each of the three shades.
- It is easy to apply and blends well with the skin
- It stays well on the skin without using a setting spray
- It works well for oily skin too
- It comes with a color-coordinated instruction chart which is quite helpful for beginners
- Works well for multiple skin tones
- The product is of great quality at a reasonable price
- It gives a smooth and natural finish
With 6 layers of contouring palettes, this is probably the best drugstore contour product. It is a one-stop solution for the beauty needs of people with all skin shades. The six layers of contour, blush, foundation, and correctors within a single compact case are preferred by beginners and professional makeup artists alike. The makeup kit has removable pans and the layers can be interchanged according to your convenience. The manufacturer is a part of the PETA. So, all SHANY products are 100% cruelty-free.
- The products in the layers are highly pigmented and can be compared to other much expensive makeup kits
- With the number of shades provided, there are innumerable combinations that one can have, and an infinite number of looks can be created
- None of the products in the makeup kit cause a reaction on the skin. It can be safely used by people of all skin types, acne-prone ones too
- The kit is properly packaged and sealed well. There is no fear of damage while shipping
- The makeup kit is compact and easy to store
- The product comes with a compatible brush
The kit contains 6 powders overall, out of which three shades are for contouring. The powders give a matte finish that looks more natural on your face. At the same time, you can enhance your features as well. If you are a beginner and have no idea how to contour, this is the best drugstore contour kit for you! There is a step-by-step guide with details of how to contour different parts of your face. The product’s website contains video tutorials as well, to assist the customers.
- The product lives up to its claim that it matches all skin tones
- This contour kit is affordable
- Highly recommended, especially for newcomers who need guidance
- Register on their website to order replacement powders
- The instruction booklet contains diagrams which are quite helpful
- The product comes with a high-quality packaging
- The powders are gentle on the skin and do not cause any irritation, rashes, or acne
- It gives you a flawless and polished look
The product contains 3 shades for contouring. The powders are soft; hence they are easy to apply and blend perfectly on your skin. With the contour powders, you can define your cheekbones, nose, forehead, and jawline. The organization is registered under PETA’s Beauty without Bunnies Program.
So, the product is completely cruelty-free. Also, if the customer is not satisfied with the product, they can contact Elizabeth Mott for an exchange or return the product and avail of a refund. This palette helps customers to obtain a look that draws attention to their best features. It is perfect for everyday use. You no more have to be a professional makeup artist to give your face the best look!
- The colors are fairly long-lasting, so you do not have to reapply it multiple times within a day
- The powders do not have any odor and work well with a contour brush
- If you have the right brush, the colors apply evenly to your skin
- The contour powders are smooth
- They are moderately pigmented and go well with most skin tones
- The product comes with an instruction pamphlet which is quite informative
- It is quite affordable, and the quality is comparable to high-end contour products
- The kit comes with a large mirror and a snap latch on the outside
This is a six-color highlight and contour kit with three colors each for contouring and highlighting. The richly pigmented colors give a glow to your face. The palette is of professional quality and is 100% cruelty-free. Although a powder, the texture is almost creamy and thus provides a smooth finish on the skin.
- The product is easy to use even for beginners
- It gives the correct amount of natural contour
- The colors do not cause a break-out on the skin
- It is easy to blend
- Given the quality, the product is worth the price
- The contour shades are very smooth
It is a palette, which contains eight shades. These shades are from light to medium. It will help you in adding dimension to your jaw, cheekbone, nose, and forehead. It will help to give your face a bright, soft, and luminous glow. It is perfect for everyday use. You will get a perfectly flawless look within a few minutes. Let us discuss some of its best features.
- It features eight shades for contouring.
- It is a super soft, smooth, and fine powder, which is blends easily.
- It contains versatile colors, which helps in adding dimension to your face. It defines your cheekbones, jaws, nose, and forehead to make your face look slimmer.
- Use the best drugstore contour brush for the best effects.
- If you are unhappy with the product, then you can easily return the product.
- The palette is paraben-free and cruelty-free.
- It also has a shimmery highlight for glowing skin.
- It is the best cheap contour kit.
Physicians follow the concept of “healthy beauty.” It was all started in 1937, and since then, the brand is known for providing makeup for sensitive skin. This product is carefully crafted, and it is hypoallergenic, which is safe for your skin. There are no harsh ingredients, and it is safe to use on your skin.
- You can enhance and define your features with flattering shades.
- It is a highly blendable and buildable formula.
- It includes shades for contouring and highlighting.
- You can even use it as a bronzer, which has glow activators. This makeup palette is infused with vitamins, antioxidants, and moisturizers.
- It is easy to use and a mistake-free contouring palette.
- It is great for sensitive skin.
- This brand is highly recommended by dermatologists, allergists, and ophthalmologists.
- It is free from harsh ingredients.
It is the best drugstore contour for dark skin. It can be used as a contour as well as a color correcting palette. It features multiple shades, which are buildable, and you can combine them to create an ideal tone. Let us discuss some of its best features.
- It is an ultimate color corrector, concealer, and contour palette especially made for dark skin tone.
- There are six shades available for concealing and contouring.
- It is cruelty and parabens free
- It is the best drugstore contour makeup
It the best contour kit. Aesthetica provides you with tools to apply makeup expertly, which will help you in bringing out your natural beauty. It will provide you with step-by-step instructions, which will help you in applying makeup like a professional. It is a perfect kit for contouring and highlighting. You can achieve a flawless finish every time with this contour kit. Let us discuss some of its best features.
- It has six amazing silky and blendable shades, which will help you in highlighting your face.
- The contour and highlight shades work together and enhance your face.
- It is ideal for all skin. You can mix match the shades for perfect skin tone.
- Use a dark contour shape to sculpt your face and making it look slimmer.
- It makes your face look more structured.
- The packaging is travel friendly
- It helps in enhancing your eyes, minimizing the appearance of a double chin and large forehead, helps in providing fuller lips, and defines your cheekbones.
- It is the best drugstore makeup for contouring and highlighting.
Like every other part of makeup, contouring also takes time to get used to. If you are new to this, try a variety of products, experiment with the blends to learn what works perfectly for your skin shade and features. While learning how to contour, it is not advisable to spend lavishly on high-end products, as you do not know how to use them properly. Look for products that are easier on your pocket but at the same time, are of decent quality. Today, it is not hard to find affordable products online. Doing some research before buying is highly recommended.
The best drugstore contour kits are the ones that are easy to use. Newcomers need guidance on how to use these products. As each product is different, online tutorials may not always help. If the product itself comes with instruction booklets (possibly with diagrams) or video tutorials, it is better to buy such products. The best drugstore contour palettes do not make your face look cakey! How you look in the end, depends (to a great extent) on how well you use it as well. But some cheap quality powders give a flaky finish, which doesn’t look good on your face.
The best drugstore contour creams/powders provide a natural-looking matte finish. They are mostly devoid of shimmer. Also, make sure that the company offers replacement powders. Some companies provide compatible brushes with the contour product. You might want to buy such products if you do not want to spend time shopping for brushes separately.
1. Which brand is best for contouring?
Aesthetica Cosmetics, Anastasia Beverly Hills, E.L.F cosmetics, and Smashbox are some of the best brands, which provide the best contour products.
2. What is the best drugstore contour?
L. A Colors – best drugstore contour makeup is a drugstore contour kit that provides you light to medium shades.
3. Is it better to contour with cream or powder?
The cream will give you a more natural finish and much quicker compare to powder. However, the powder contour can give you a more defined and matte finish.
4. How do you contour for beginners?
Follow the given steps:
- Define the shape of your face
- According to the shape of your face, start contouring. Apply in the areas, which you want to define or simply conceal. Apply on cheekbones to make your face look slimmer. Also, apply at the under-eye area, bridge of your nose, and middle of your forehead.
- Use a darker color to add more depth. Use it at the side of your nose, cheeks hollows, forehead, and jawline.
- Blend it well
- Use highlighter
5. Do you put cream contour on before or after foundation?
Foundation is the base. You must start contouring after applying the foundation.
6. How do your blend contour makeup?
You can blend it with the best drugstore contour brush or beauty sponge. If you are using a beauty blender, then make sure it is a little damp. Make sure you blend it well with your base makeup.
7. What is the best contour kit for beginners?
Physicians formula bronze booster highlight and contour palette are The best countering kit for beginners. You can use it as a bronzer, highlighter, and counter all in one. Hence, it affordable and quite good for beginners.
8. Can you contour without foundation?
A foundation cream provides an even skin tone throughout. You can contour without using foundation, but for better results apply foundation.
9. How does contour makeup work?
Contouring makes use of a powder/cream that is slightly darker than your skin shade, to shadow certain features that you want to hide. It enhances the structure of the face.
10. Where can I buy contour makeup?
All shops that sell cosmetic beauty products have contour palettes. You can also shop for them on many websites online.
11. How can I find drugstore contour for pale skin?
Contouring is done with cool-toned contour powder, which is one or two shades darker than your skin tone. So, if you have pale skin you may go for the darker shades, which will enhance the structure of your face. The dark contour complements and defines your face over the pale skin.
Choose color by the one available in the palette or by mixing the shades. You can always experiment with contours. You must choose shades that will give a realistic shadow to your face. Hence, drugstore contour for pale skin must be darker shades
12. Is contour cream or drugstore contour powder better?
The contour cream provides you with a natural finish and it is great for an everyday look and is quicker than the powder to use. Contour powder provides you with a matte finish and with defined looks. If you are looking for quick work, you may use cream. In the end, it depends on what you want. Some like the contour powder as it has a photogenic look, which most people look for. While some like contour cream which is quick.
13. Where can I get top contour kits?
One can find the kits online or even in a cosmetic shop. Purchasing online gives you a better understanding of the product, as there will be reviews and ratings on the products. These reviews and ratings make it easier for your purchase.
14. How many shades of contour kits drugstore are available?
Different shades for different skin tones are available. And you can always mix the contour powder to find a new shade that might work beautifully on your skin.
15. How to apply drugstore contour powder?
Contouring is an art, which demands time and effort. You can get the best look with the best powder contour kits, that are available in the market. You must purchase the contour powder one or two shades darker than your skin tone.
Follow the below steps to apply contour powder
- You must create a base by applying foundation and concealer
- You may brush a layer of translucent powder lightly on your face for a smooth base.
- Use a correct brush and a cool-toned contour powder that is darker than your skin tone to give you a chiseled look.
- Apply on your jawlines, the hollows of cheekbones, and also on the sides of the temples.
- Blend well, and remove the excess with cotton.
16. Should I use contour kits drugstore before or after foundation?
You must first apply the foundation and create a base before applying contour.
17. Are top contour kits worth buying?
Yes, the best powder contour kits from top brands are worth buying. They give you a matte finish and make you look sharper by highlighting your facial features.