The millennials and gen-z’s invented a quote that said ‘having curly hair is a flex’. The quote was very popular in the world of the internet. But contradictory to the quote sometimes having those curls can be a pretty handful. Maintaining those curls can eat up the curly girl’s entire life. The best drugstore mousse can be every curly-haired girl’s best friend as it manages to keep the frizz at bay and give those tresses the shine they deserve.
Defining the term mousse
The term mousse just simply means foam. It was originated in France and is a French term. Mousse quite literally is a hair essential as it helps to condition the hair, build the volume. Mousse is typically applied from roots to ends. The mousse then needs to be combed through the hair and then blow-dried. The very underestimated mousse is light in weight and water-based. If used correctly to then a mousse can create wonders. The history of mousse goes a way back to the 80s. At that time the sole purpose of the mousse was only to have big voluptuous hair. But as the concept of mousse progressed it is now used for easy styling of hair, defining the natural curls, de-frizzing the hair, holding hair. It can be used for both stylings as well as maintaining the hair. The mousse can be used as a hydrator for your typical dry curls bringing it a shine. Typically a mousse is paired with additional hair products for better results. There are different kinds of mousses available for types of textures.
The importance of using the best drugstore mousse for curly hair
If you are new to the curly world, then applying the mousse to your curls can be intimidating as you do not want to face the terrible aftermath of it. So here is a list of things that makes the mousse probably the only hair care product you require besides your shampoo and conditioner.
- The number one solution to your frizzy hair.
- The mousse gives the hair a shiny luscious look that stays on for a few days depending on the product.
- A lot of mousses have a UV protective serum that protects the hair from heat styling and sometimes the pollution your hair is subjected to.
- The mousse can serve a lot of needs that you have for your curls such as styling as well as maintaining, it is also easy to use.
Best Drugstore Mousse For Curly Hair – Buying Guide
Up until this point in the article, everything about the mousse was discussed. There are a few factors that need to be considered before buying a mousse. So below is the list of the factors that will help the rookies to buy the best drugstore mousse for curly hair.
Factors to consider before buying a mousse
- Smell: The mousse is a foamy gel-like substance that is going to stay around in your hair for a few days. So make sure the smell of the mousse that you are going to use is tolerable to your nose as well as all the people around you. Try your best to buy products that are made from natural ingredients so they don’t smell like a gel or any other chemical.
- Expiry date: There are plenty of mousses available which are organic and have a very less chemical percentage. The organic products are usually like the food you buy, they have an expiry date and they don’t remain fresh and effective for a longer period. So make sure to check the expiry date of the mousse before buying.
- Ingredients: The ingredients of a hair product are extremely important more so if you are applying the product for the first time. It is necessary to cross-check all the Ingredients in that product to further avoid the danger of allergies. Instead, you can choose organic products that have very little chance of hurting your hair.
- Type: The most important point so far on the list is the type of hair you have. The type of hair you have will decide which product you buy as different products have different features. For curly, wavy, and coily hair you will require a mousse that can maintain your already natural curls as well as make them look sleek, stylish, full of volume.
- Easy to use: If you are looking for a mousse solely for the purpose of styling your curls then look out for mousses that are easy to use. There are a few products that are one steps products for quick use.
- Curly girl approved: Buying a product or a mousse that is curly girl approved is usually helpful as it is tried and tested on curls before. Usually, if it is a curly girl approved then it is considered to be the best drugstore mousse for curly hair.
Now, that you have entered the world of mousses and it has been added to your daily routine. Here is a list of all the tips and tricks that will help you apply a mousse effectively.
- The very first thing to remember while using the mousse is to shake the mousse bottle/can very well. As the mousse comes in a pressurized can it is very important to shake the can a bit to avoid a watery mousse to be dispensed on your palm
- The mousse literally a foamy substance. So it is tricky to get the right amount of mousse. Dispense the mousse on your palm bit by bit and then layer up, if overdone the hair can turn crunchy and saturated giving your hair a slicked-back look. An egg-sized dollop is appropriate for beginners.
- The next important thing to take into consideration is the condition of your tresses. The hair should be clean and wet for easy application of the mousse.
- The mousse should be applied from roots to ends. For even the application of the mousse, the hair can be dissected into two sections. Rake your fingers through each section of your hair. Gently comb the mousse all through your hair. To ensure even application make sure to do a final scrunch. Flip your hair forward and scrunch through the hair. A comb that has wide teeth is beneficial as de-tangles the hair and helps the mousse to reach to every part of your head.
- For enhancing your natural curls scrunch gently and diffuse the hair. The dryer should be of medium setting. It is best to work in small sections and then work your way up to the head.
- After blow-drying if you want more curls use some rollers and then keep them for 10 to 20 minutes. Once done remove the rollers and brush your hair for more curly hair.
Best Drugstore Mousse For Curly Hair Reviews
While all the other brands emphasize false-fixing the damaged or giving the hair an unattainable shine OGX does not believe in any of that. The company’s main motto is to maintain and nourish the natural curls. Most of the products made by OGX are for the local masses as the brand does not endorse hair perfection. A mousse can be used for styling and as well as maintaining the curls so OGX is perfect for those who occasionally want to get those killer curls and want an addition to their daily hair care routine. The OGX Locking + Coconut Curls Decadent Creamy Mousse is on the review list of all beauty gurus as it has been amazon’s best seller for quite some time. Below are some of the features of the mousse that makes it amazon’s best seller.
- The product ticks the first requirement of the list as the mousse is Curly Girl Approved.
- As the company’s motto is to enhance those natural curls the OGX mousse is alcohol-free making it one of the best drugstore mousse for curly hair.
- The OGX mousse is made up of a few natural ingredients like coconut oil and shea butter. So when the two are mixed it gives the coils a bouncy look and also makes the tendrils unfrizzy and twisty. Coconut oil and shea butter also give the curls the moisture it needs.
- The coconut oil gives the OGX Locking + Coconut Curls Decadent Creamy Mousse a very amazing natural scent.
- The mousse is a one-step product so it is easy to use.
- For best results apply on clean damp hair, then brush throughout the hair and air-dry or diffuse.
Unlike the first product, this product focuses solely on the looks of your hair and tries to fulfill its needs healthily. The Design encapsulates a lot of vitamins and proteins in their product that helps movement and manageability. The brand solely focusses on giving its customers a salon-type product that helps the customer to cleanse, condition, nourish, and restore the hair. The design recognizes the fact that everyone has different hair and so they produce products accordingly.
Design Essentials Natural Curl Enhancing Mousse is perfect for styling your curls at home. The mousse promises to give you the instant curls that you need. Here are some of the features of the Design mousse which will help you understand the product better.
- The mousse is available for all curls namely wavy, coil, curly. The mousse can be also used for twist-outs, short molded hair.
- Although the brand Design focuses on overall looks they have made sure to add healthy organic ingredients like wheat protein for strengthening the hair, olive oil, avocado which ensures that there is no breakage, and almond oil to add overall shine. The mousse is alcohol-free, non-residual, and does not crunch.
- Because of all the natural ingredients, the product not only smells good but also separates curls.
- According to the reviewers, the product does not flake and makes sure the curls look polished and frizz-free.
- For best results incorporate with Design’s shampoo and conditioner. The mousse Is easy to use as it dries after 15 mins and stays for 3 to 4 days.
- The mousse should be applied to wet hair, then combed through and once the mousse is dried( air dry or diffuse) style your way.
Sheamoisture is a very popular brand among the curly hair community. The brand was established in the early 80s and has continued to a time and again maintain it’s legacy. The company evolves with every product catering to the need of the customers making it exactly the reason why the brand is still so relevant in today’s day and age. The company promises to keep producing natural harm-free products that are already tried and tested on their shea family.
“I absolutely loved the definition and shine I got from the shea moisture Curl Mousse for Frizz Control Coconut and Hibiscus with Shea Butter. My hair was soft and had great definition.” Said one of the users in the comment section underneath the product, Proving that the mousse has been successful in creating the buzz among the curly hair community. The mousse is mainly for dry and frizzy hair.
Here are some of the features of the mousse.
- The mousse is the curly girl method approved proving that it will not cause much harm unless if you are allergic to one of the ingredients.
- The shea butter that is used in the product is handmade in Ghana not only ensures to give the hair a bouncy and shiny look but also smells great. The butter also provides hydration and nourishment to dry hair.
- Some of the ingredients used are Coconut oil which saves the dry brittle hair from breaking, hibiscus to enhance the natural curls, Neem oil which helps to keep the hair unfrizzy and free, Silk protein to keep your hair soft and silky.
- The mousse is non-flaky. The mousse makes it to the list of best drugstore mousse for curly hair as it does not crunch, also very easy to use as it dries off quickly.
- The mousse is suitable for humid hair conditions as it gives the curl a soft feel and look and is lightweight and easy to carry.
- The mousse does not contain silicones, sulfates, parabens. The mousse is also cruelty-free and gives the best result if applied to each hair section properly.
This product is a little different from all the other products mentioned before. The company Sebastian mainly focuses on coming up with products that solve everyday problems the hairstylists face. Sebastian is a very commercially successful brand that imports products all over the world. Sebastian was able to create a dent in the hairstyling industry within a few years of its debut.
The Sebastian mousse will be able to give you salon level styling at home. The mousse is perfect for a Saturday night or an office party as it will surely make some heads turn. The product is mainly used for frizzy dry hair. The Sebastian mousse is not only used professionally but it is also available in drugstores making it the best drugstore mousse for wavy hair. Below are some of its features that will help you know that if this product is for you or not.
- The most important feature of the mousse is that if you are someone who uses heat on your hair for styling then this mousse is perfect as it will protect your hair from the heat. The mousse gives UV and heat protection to the curls.
- Sebastian mousse promises a stronghold on the curls
- The mousse is suitable for hair types like curly, wavy, or frizzy.
- The mousse is used professionally in a lot of events because of its quality to enhance the volume of your curls. So this is used mostly for thin hair as the mousse is lightweight.
- The Sebastian mousse does not leave any flakes and is non-residual as well as smells great.
- The product is suitable for dippity to do girls with curls as it strengthens the natural waves.
- For best results apply it on wet hair and then air dry diffuse to accentuate waves and curls.
Co-owned by Godrej Customer goods in 2016, the African Pride has been running for more than 30 years now. The brand understands how beautiful hair can be a source of confidence. The main motto of the brand is to lessen the stress of women with curls. The moisture miracle section of the company was founded just to cater to the needs of coily, wavy, and curly hair.
African pride moisture miracle ensures that all the products are made from fresh organic African ingredients. If you visit the site there is a separate section just about the ingredients where all the information is available. African Pride is a household name in the beauty community, so that’s the reason why when the mousse was launched it became popular among the regular customers, Making it the best mousse for wavy and curly hair. Some of the features of the mousse are mentioned below.
- The mousse is coily girl method approved. It is mainly used for curly and coily hair.
- The product is made from ingredients like rose water and argan oil. Rosewater promotes hair growth and also hydrates the natural hair. Argan oil smoothes hair cuticles and adds shine.
- As the mousse is light in weight, it leaves no crunches and is residue-free. The rose water and argan oil add a natural scent to the mousse.
- The mousse can be the best for dry hair as it makes the tresses frizz-free. As the conditioning given by the mousse, stronghold, and flexibility can be felt on the curls.
- Free from substances like paraben, Sulphates, and petroleum the mousse can be added to a curly girl’s daily hair care routine.
- For best results use it with The African pride shampoo and conditioner.
- The mousse should be applied from roots to ends of damp hair. Brush the mousse and then diffuse the hair.
Pantene collaborated with the best hair experts from all over the world to make sure the products they make reach the desired results. Pantene believes in the idea of change and transformation. According to the company, 95% of people are not happy with their hair. Pantene aims to change that as it acknowledges the fact that having good hair can affect a person’s abilities and confidence.
That is why Pantene came out with inventions like the Pro-V formula which is now being used with every product that Pantene manufactures. The Pro-V formula is now being used worldwide from the USA to China. The Pro-V formula has nourishing, purifying, hydrating, and restoring ingredients. Because of the Pro-V formula, a lot of users swear by this mousse as the best drugstore mousse for curly hair. Below are some of the features of the mousse.
- As mentioned above the product has Pro-V formula which transforms the hair by strengthening its’s roots. The formula also has anti-oxidants which gently encourages the curls to be clean
- The mousse is extremely light in weight as it promotes frizz-free soft hair without being sticky and stiff.
- The foam can gently hold and enhance the natural curls.
- The mousse can also work in humid conditions as it keeps the curls soft for you to flaunt.
- It is free from glycerin and is suitable for curly and wavy hair type, and is also a curly girl method approved.
- It has a thicker consistency than most of the mousses available.
The deva curl is a fairly new company. The main motto of the company is to accept diversity. The brand in the last decade gained popularity because it understood the problems of every curly girl. The brand started with a small salon and now ships worldwide.
Every product of the DevaCurl is curly girl tested and does not include paraben, gluten, sulfates, silicon, is cruelty-free, and is approved by a dermatologist. DevaCurl Frizz-Free Volumizing Texture Foam being one of them. The DevaCurl Frizz-free volumizing mousse is also recommended in the “curly girl’s handbook”. The mousse also is one of amazon’s recommendations. The DevaCurl mousse has also been voted as the best mousse for curly and wavy hair by the curly hair community. Here are some of the features of the mousse.
- The product is most suitable for girls with extreme curls and waves and smell is non-perfumy and mostly of lemon.
- The mousse gently nourishes curls and frees them frizzes. The foam is mostly used to make the curl’s bouncy and light. It makes the curls shiny.
- It is curly girl method approved.
- The product is easy to use as it is lightweight and does not weigh the curl down. Some of the ways of doing the hair with the help of this mousse are wet plop and the bowl method
- The best results are always acquired with shampoo and conditioner.
Choosing a perfect mousse or rather a perfect hair product is not easy. It takes a lot of patience and experimenting to know what works and what doesn’t. Hopefully, after going through this piece of information you must have gotten a slight picture of how your mousse should look like and what ingredients should the mousse have. Having unhealthy curls can be such a bummer to the overall personality as our hair plays a part in boosting confidence. Getting that perfect mouse can not only help you get nourished and healthy curls but also help you love yourself and your hair a little more.
Frequently Asked Questions
1.What is the best drugstore mousse for curly hair?
OGX Locking + Coconut Curls Decadent Creamy Mousse is the best drugstore mousse for curly hair as it is every drugstore’s favorite. The mousse strikes a healthy balance between organic and chemical as it nourishes and hydrates the hair with coconut oil as well as maintains a shiny look on the curls. The mousse is perfect for styling as well as maintaining your hair as it has consistently been on amazon’s bestseller list.
2.Is mousse or gel better for curly hair?
There is not a definite answer to this question, it entirely depends on what you experienced while using both of them. Still, let’s discuss some differences between them both to help you make your mind. Firstly the mousse does not weigh your curls down as it is literally foam while sometimes using a gel can be heavy. The gel can be used for un-frizzing your hair while the mousse does not 100% not guarantee that. Thirdly mousse is easy to use while the gel is a little messy to use. Conclusion: You should try both of them and decide what suits you the best.
3.What mousse is a curly girl approved?
For those who don’t know the curly girl method is from the book Curly girl: the handbook. The curly girl method is a hair care routine for natural curls which makes sure that the damaging habits from the hair care routine are eliminated. Some of the products which are curly girl approved are DevaCurl Frizz-Free Foam, Pantene, Curl Mousse-Pro-V, SheaMoisture Curl Mousse with Shea Butter, OGX Locking + Coconut Curls Decadent Creamy Mousse.
4.What are the best drugstore products for curly hair?
Some of the best drugstore products for curly hair are DevaCurl Frizz-Free Volumizing Texture Foam, Pantene, Curl Mousse, Tame frizz for Soft Touchable Curls, Pro-V, For Curly Hair, African Pride Moisture Miracle Rose Water & Argan Oil Curl Mousse, Sebastian Mousse Forte, Strong-Hold Mousse for Professional Hair Styling, OGX Locking + Coconut Curls Decadent Creamy Mousse.
5.How do you make curly hair not frizzy?
There are a few ways to avoid frizz in your curls. The first one is to switch from hair care products that contain a lot of chemicals to products that are more organic nature friendly as the ones with a lot of chemicals make the curls dry. The next time you are using a product on your hair make sure to apply it from roots to ends. Protecting your hair at night can give you non-frizzy curls the next day. Start using hair sprays and mousses instead of over-washing them. The advantage of using those products is that they will protect your hair from heat. Avoid using a lot of heat on your curls as well.
6.How do you sleep with curly hair?
Well, the answer to this question is subjective, depending upon the length of your hair. But there are a few common things like sleeping on your stomach or to a side as it won’t weigh your hair down. Secondly, you can also try tying your hair in protective hairstyles like braids, a pineapple, or just a loose bun tied on the top of the head would do. The last one is not only for curly hair but this tip is for any hair type. The pillow on which you sleep should have a soft cover mostly of silk or satin as it won’t cause breakage of your hair.