Whether one has dry skin or oily skin, or combination skin or even normal skin, face toners have always remained critical to our facial skincare regime. Facial toners fall into one of the most basic requirements. Importantly, toners are always worthwhile if you need that extra cleansing for lingering leftovers post-cleansing – especially after wearing makeup – or even using heavy skin products like sunscreen.
Essential for balancing the pH, cleansing and refreshing the pores, and improving absorbency level for your moisturizers, toners are vital for achieving a healthy, radiant, and even out skin tone.
Getting down to the best toner can be a little tricky since everybody just keeps talking premium. So we thought of easing out your troubles, did a little research, and came up with this awesome list of the best drugstore toner that will not burn a hole in your pocket. Keep reading!
Best Drugstore Toner – Buying Guide
When it comes to skincare, having an elaborated regime is not essential. However, having the right routine is highly essential for getting that luminous glow. A key ingredient or product added to your routine can make a huge difference.
One such product is toners. Best drugstore face toner helps in glowing your skin up; good toner for the face also helps in cleaning and revitalizing your skin. There are multiple other reasons, which make toner an essential part of the skincare regime. Toners should be free from alcohol and fragrance for the best effects. Let us explore those benefits in this article.
Factors to Consider while buying Best Drugstore Toner
- The minimization of the appearance of pores.
Large pores make your skin look unhealthy. On the other hand, small pores make your skin look smoother and polished. To lower the appearance of the pores, toners can go a long way. You need to find the best toners for large pores. It helps in giving your glow and luminous look. It will make you go bare face confidently. Find the best toners for sensitive skin.
- Thoroughly clean your skin.
Clean skin is all you require to make it look healthy and smooth. Toners help in keeping your skin clean and undamaged from other environmental factors.
- Tightens your skin
Toners have rejuvenating quality, which helps in keeping your skin firm and tight. Hence, aged skin takes the utmost advantage from these powerful toners. You can see the difference in your skin within a few days of regular use.
- Retains moisture of the skin
Toners like rose water can naturally hydrate your skin. It increases the absorption of whatever you apply above the toner. Hence, toning should be the first step in your skincare regime. It will make your skin more absorbable, and you will get the utmost benefits of all the products you will apply to your skin. If you have tried skin, the best toner for dry skin can go a long way.
- Best for oily and combination skin
Impurities on your skin can lead to acne. The best drugstore toner for combination skin will help you in cleaning the dirt from your skin, which will prevent acne and it will be affordable as well. Also, ingredients like tea tree oil can go a long way in treating oily or acne-prone skin. The facial toner helps in easily remove the makeup as well.
- Soothing and refreshing
Rose and cucumber toners are super refreshing. It is a great way to start and end your day. A good toner will feel amazing on your skin. Also, a botanical source of facial toner has a calming effect on your skin. It also helps in lowering the appearance of redness and discomfort.
How to buy the best toners for face?
- Identify your skin type.
The best toner for dry skin includes moisturizing ingredients like rose and cucumber. The characteristics of dry skin are small pores and a rough complexion, which will help in moisturizing your skin.
The best drugstore toner for combination skin can go a long way in cleaning all the dirt from your face and keeping it away from acne.
The best alcohol free toner will help all skin types including normal and sensitive.
- Decide when you want to use it.
If you are using the toner in summers, look for refreshing ingredients like cucumber and if you are using it in winters then look for hydrating features. Make sure you are buying fragrance-free toner.
- Buying the toner.
While buying the toner, look for ingredients. You can buy the best drugstore face toner online.
- See if the toner is working.
The best facial toner will give you smooth and bright skin within a few days of application. If you don’t see any change after a month of application, then maybe it is not working for you.
Now you know how to buy the best skin toner. Now let us recommend some of the best toners.
Best Drugstore Toner Reviews
1. Neutrogena Oil- and Alcohol-Free Facial Toner with Hypoallergenic Formula
- One of the best drugstore toner, Neutrogena’s Alcohol-Free Toner is made from oil-free and hypoallergenic formula and so, does not cause irritation or drying.
- Even though it gets absorbed quickly, it is non-comedogenic, which means that it will not clog your pores post-application.
- This alcohol-free face toner contains gentle purifiers that remove and cleanse the impurities stuck in the pores.
- It refreshes the skin, ensuring that the skin’s natural moisture remains locked in for an extended period of time.
- Recommended use is via a cotton ball, to be applied to the face with soft upward strokes.
2. Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel Pore Perfecting Toner
- Claimed to be the only 100% natural toner, Dickinson’s original best facial toner encapsulates the incredible cleansing benefits of its key ingredient – witch hazel.
- Witch hazel is a natural astringent and is used in a multitude of remedies.
- This toner not only cleanses and conditions the pores but also tightens and refines them, thus perfecting them for a great looking skin every day.
- It maintains smoothens the skin texture and removes the excess build-up of dirt or oil without over-drying the skin, helping it to absorb your moisturizer better.
- Its results of evenly toned skin are too good to not call it the best drugstore toner.
- The Pore Perfecting Toner is vegan and oil-free and is suitable for all skin types.
3. Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera
- This remarkable product is another one of the best drugstore toner that you can find.
- Its unique feature that includes its alcohol-free blended formula of witch hazel, rose petal and certified organic aloe Vera, will make your skin blossom in its healthy natural color.
- Thayers Best Facial Toner is naturally extracted from botanicals to make its high-quality ingredients, giving an extra edge over other toners available.
- It is free from harmful chemicals like parabens, alcohol, and propylene glycol.
- Its key extract of proprietary non-distilled witch hazel contains 195% more tannins than what is usually available in the market.
- Therefore, it delivers effective results for controlling acne, tightening pores, balancing natural oil production, reducing redness and inflammation, and smoothening the skin texture for an overall healthy, clear appearance.
- It has a soft rosy fragrance.
4. Pixi Glow Tonic ~ 3.4 Fl Oz/100 ML
- Fourth on our list of best drugstore toner, Pixi Glow Tonic is a brilliant alcohol-free product for toning your skin.
- Enhanced with natural aloe vera, ginseng, and botanical extracts, this tonic will nourish your facial skin and brighten the complexion.
- It will help soothe any kind of skin irritation, reduce inflammation and redness, and with regular use, will also lighten acne scars and prevent them altogether, thus making your skin healthier.
- It is formulated with 5% glycolic acid, which helps in exfoliating, smoothening, and brightening the skin for an overall healthy and glowing look.
- Pixi Glow Tonic has a sweet natural fragrance, is gentle and suitable for all skin types.
5. Simple Soothing Best Facial Toner
- Made with a simple yet effective formula, Simple Soothing best Facial Toner is devised to provide a wholesome enhancement to your skin.
- With VitaminB5, Witch Hazel, and Allantoin as its key ingredients, this toner promises to activate skin regeneration, actively refresh, soften, and smoothen your skin by minimizing the pores, and also tighten them.
- Vitamin B5 also helps in improving your skin tone and fading off the age spots.
- This Simple’s toner is pH balanced, alcohol-free, and uses triple-purified water as its base. This means that your skin will not dry-out post use. In fact, it will cleanse and hydrate your skin so as to enable it to absorb moisturizer better.
- The triple-purified water is enriched with multivitamins in order to nourish and improve your skin better.
- It is suitable for all skin types, but Vitamin B5 helps the most in cases of dry skin.
- With no artificial perfumes or dyes and no harsh chemicals used that can upset your skin in its making, Simple Soothing Facial Toner is one of the best drugstore toners.
- To get maximum benefits and quicker visible results, use twice a day after Simple Micellar Cleansing Water and then apply Simple Hydrating Gel Cream Face Moisturizer.
6. Leven Rose 100% Pure & Organic Rose Water
- One of the best drugstore toners is this one ingredient only rose water by Leven Rose.
- It is a 100% pure organic Moroccan rose water that comes in a dark amber bottle with extended shelf life since rose water is UV sensitive. Storage in these dark amber bottles protects the organics from oxidation.
- Leven Rose Rose Water is perfect for toning the neck and face, soothing puffy eyes, balancing skin pH naturally, and hydrating dry skin.
- You will also find its use in soothing acne-prone skin, fading off spots or dark marks and redness.
- It is best suitable for all types of skin types – from dry to oily – for an instant cool, refreshing feel.
- It is also great for sensitive skin and can be used included as an integral part of both men’s and women’s skincare regimens.
- This natural toner is completely non-oily and is free from all kinds of alcohol, glycerin, fragrance, paraben, and sulfates.
- Recommended usage with Leven Rose’s 100% pure and organic Jojoba Oil or Argan Oil natural cleanser for best results.
- You can also spray it over your hair after shampooing and conditioning.
7. Garnier SkinActive Facial Mist Spray with Rose Water
- Developed clinically with a gentle formula, Garnier SkinActive’s rosewater mist spray is a soothing toner, which does not contain any parabens, dyes, silicones, or sulfates.
- Its vegan formula ensures it is cruelty-free.
- A 96% naturally derived product, it nourishes and hydrates your skin for a refreshing appearance.
- You may use Garnier Facial Mist before makeup as a primer, as a moisturizer to hydrate your skin, after makeup to help set it, or anytime in the day.
- Garnier being a renowned brand is one of the best drugstore toner suitable for sensitive skin.
- Use after Garnier SkinActive Soothing Milk Cleanser with Rose Water and then apply its 3-in-1 Soothing Moisturizer with Rose Water for best results.
8. Burt’s Bees Garden Tomato Skin Toner for Oily Skin
- To gently soothe and help out oily and troubled skins, Burt’s Bees has infused a unique, natural blend of tomatoes, cucumbers, and parsley extracts in its version of the best drugstore toner.
- This 99.4% natural skin toner removes the excess build-up of dirt, oil, and makeup.
- Its formulation consists of a distinctive fruit acid complex made from sugar cane, sugar maple, and bilberry extracts. These are rich in alpha hydroxyl acids, which help in exfoliating dead skin cells and tightening the pores.
- Burt’s Bees Skin toner is designed specifically for troubled and oily skin types so that it can help balance the skin’s pH to provide a healthier, naturally radiant appearance.
- Use with Burt’s Bees face lotion for maximum benefits.
9. TruSkin Daily Super Toner for All Skin Types
- Witch Hazel is widely known for its qualities like soothing inflammation, skin irritation, fighting acne, etc. and this TruSkin Daily Super Toner contains pure witch hazel as one of its key ingredients.
- Other natural ingredients like Vitamin C, glycolic acid, aloe vera, amino acids, and active plant extracts make it a powerful, natural anti-aging toner.
- Spritz this toner on your face for targeting sun damage, enlarged pores, fine lines, and uneven skin tone and get smoother, hydrated, and refreshed skin.
- Along with balancing and nourishing your skin with its deep ocean organic mineral complex, it also clears up acne scars, prevents breakouts, and reduces pore size to give you an overall fresh and healthy look, making it one of the best drugstore toner available in the market.
- Made from the highest quality natural and organic ingredients, it is very gentle and hence, suited for all skin types including the most sensitive ones as well.
- TruSkin promises customer satisfaction and gives you a 100% money-back guarantee if it does not suit your skin and deliver results.
- Use twice a day, and with TruSkin Vitamin C Daily Facial Cleanser and Daily Facial Moisturizer for best results.
- Though it is suitable for all skin types, it is highly recommended that you perform a skin compatibility patch test on a small area of skin on your hand or neck since this is a concentrated and strong professional product.
10. InstaNatural Organic Rose Water Facial Toner
- At InstaNatural, they believe that beautiful skin begins with healthy skin. And so, all its products are made of natural ingredients.
- This bottle of Moroccan rose water does not contain any chemicals or artificial fragrances.
- 100% pure rose water is a good way of skin hydration while priming, and for pore size minimization while using as a setting spray.
- It is an alcohol-free, natural anti-aging mist that miraculously gives results by balancing your skin pH without any skin irritation.
- Treat your face, body, and even hair with this organic rose water for priming, setting, refreshing, and even removing makeup.
- This completely natural product made from rosa damascene flower petals is one of the best drugstore toners that will give you an endless glow with a radiant skin tone.
- You can also use it to nourish your damaged hair and provide hydration for dry scalp, or just use it as a finishing mist all over the body for a refreshing dose of daily moisture.
- Use twice a day with InstaNatural Vitamin C Face Cleanser and Retinol Moisturizer Face Cream for best results.
11. Orange Blossom Water Daily Face Toner – 100% Natural
- Users swear by Foxbrim’s products and so do they for this multi-use Moroccan orange blossom floral water.
- This cruelty-free and vegan floral waterworks as an alcohol-free face toner that helps maintain the natural pH of the skin.
- Infused with the natural nutrients of the orange blossom water, this face toner runs into the pores to heal your skin and nourish it.
- Its regular use will result in tightening the skin, reducing the pore size while unclogging them and refining the skin tone.
- This is the best drugstore toner that will stimulate skin regeneration, smoothen it, and restore its vitality and suppleness.
- It comes in a revamped package designed for sustenance and effective environment-friendliness and gives the best results when used with Foxbrim Natural Cleanse – Coconut Milk and Honey Face Cleanser.
- Alternate uses include using as a hand freshener, in the bath, with a mask, for aromatherapy, as a room scent, or in a facial steam.
12. Rael store balancing facial toner – best toner for sensitive skin
This toner helps in replenishing and soothing your skin; it helps in restoring the PH level of your skin. The key ingredient is vitamin B5. It is one of the best toners for sensitive skin.
- This toner can rejuvenate your skin to the optimal healthy pH levels. Meanwhile, it also double cleanses your skin after washing with a cleanser.
- This toner can deeply replenish your skin and give it a soothing and calming effect.
- This toner is a great way to start your routine. It helps prep your skin and tones it for better absorption of consequent skincare products.
- It has an amazing ingredients list as harmful ingredients are absent in this toner. It’s free of questionable ingredients like mineral oil, parabens, silicones, synthetic fragrances, and many others. Therefore, instances of breakouts and allergies will be lessened. So, it can be called the best drugstore toner for acne or the best drugstore toner for sensitive skin.
- The toner has an amazing formulation for a deeply soothing and nourishing effect. Ingredients like Hyaluronic acid, Vitamin B5, and Chinaberry extract are added to this toner too. That’s why it can be called the best drugstore toner for dry skin.
With such an impressive list of features, it’s definitely a good drugstore toner.
13. RNW – Best water based toner
This water-based toner helps in delivering nutrients to the skin. It helps in making your skin barrier strong.
- This toner has no purified water. In fact, it’s replaced with 100% fermented water, which is a much better ingredient. Fermented water can penetrate the skin deeply and give it all the wonderful nutrients.
- This toner has been formulated with the best technology and knowledge. It has the best combination of three fermented extracts: Lactobacillus fermented extract, Bifida ferment lysate, and yeast ferment filtrate. This combination is known to make the skin of users healthier and consequently, replenishes the skin barrier.
- Because it has a beautiful selection of hydrating ingredients, it can be termed as the best drugstore toner for dry skin.
- This toner was formulated in conditions of very low temperature, which is better in some aspects.
- It has brightening properties that give your skin a beautiful shine. It makes your skin look dazzling and gives it a dewy finish.
Therefore, it’s a good drugstore toner because it has really amazing features.
14. Naturewell rosewater facial toner – best toner for glowing skin
The rose water toner is considered to be the best toner for glowing toner. It gives you hydrating and soothing effects. Free from parabens.
- This toner has the right combination of beautiful extracts and ingredients that are great for hydration and moisture. It has a beautiful blend of rose water, soapbark, and rose oil extracts.
- It has been tested and designed by renowned dermatologists.
- This toner has no parabens or dyes, due to which breakouts and allergic reactions are almost minimal. Thus, it can be crowned as the best drugstore toner for sensitive skin.
- Animal testing hasn’t been used to make this toner work well.
- Made in the USA, this toner can be used for the face and body. It has a deep nourishing effect.
- It’s a vegan product.
- It is one of the best face toner for oily skin.
This exhaustive list of best toners caters to all skin types and skin troubles. Each toner stands as good and will deliver as transformative results as the ones that might just break your bank. So even if you thought that you did not need a toner because your face wash or cleanser did the job, trust us – you do. Get yourself a toner that will really remove all the leftover grime, nourish your skin to the t, and breathe fresh air into your skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who should use the best facial toner?
Priorly toners were used by only acne-prone skin. However, anyone can use it. The best skin toner will help you in balancing the PH level of your skin.
2. Are there any side effects of using toners?
A good toner for the face does not have any side effects. These toners are free from fragrance and alcohol. However, overusing the toner that is more than twice a day can irritate your skin.
3. Can we skip toner in the skincare regime?
Toners make your skin more absorbable. Hence, whatever you apply to your toner will be fully absorbed by your skin. You will get the utmost benefits from the products. Also, they keep your skin clean, hydrated, and smooth.
4. What are some natural toners to use?
Rosewater, aloe Vera, DIY essential oils work as some of the best toners.
5. What can be used instead of expensive top facial toners?
Those expensive toners are good for your skin. Not all but some. However, it can burn a hole in your pocket. Hence, for a time being, you can use ice-cold water, cucumber, apple cider, aloe vera, lemon juice with peppermint tea, mint leaves, and raw mango seed as homemade toner.
6. Can rose water risen your skin?
Rosewater can help in lightening the skin pigmentation problem and even out the skin tone. It also helps in removing dirt and unclogging the pores.
7. What ingredients a good drugstore toner shouldn’t have?
A good toner for the face should be free from alcohol, fragrance, and parabens. These might create irritation on your skin. Also, it should be cruelty-free.
8. What are the best drugstore toners?
Finding the best drug store toners is subjective and depends on your budget and skin concerns. So, do your research well and be mindful of what your skin desperately needs to be healthy. Some good companies like Naturewell do produce good toners with good features.
9. What should I look for to find the best toners for acne-prone skin?
Acne is a serious skin condition that can be treated easily. Toners can help combat that condition by making sure any dirt and oil are thoroughly cleansed. So, it’s important to find ingredients like salicylic acid to fight acne and maybe hydrating ingredients for the nourishment of the skin.
10. Do dermatologists recommend toners?
Dermatologists actually vary in terms of the advice they give when it comes to using toners. Some don’t really recommend them because of the alcohol which can be very drying. However, some recommend them because of how important it is to restore the pH balance of the skin.