Who does not love to flaunt frizz-free and perfectly styled hair? But for perfectly styled hair, you need to use various products and appliances like curling and straightening iron. Our hair is delicate, and we need to keep it protected regularly. If we do not do that, then it can seriously damage our hair. That is why we use heat protectants. You can get the best heat protectant for fine hair in the market.
Heat protectant is a cosmetic product for hair that is used to protect our hair from damages. Hairstyling irons style our hair by heating them. Excess heat damages our hair. Heat protectant sprays are used to protect our hair from that damage. They do not eliminate the damage. But they minimize the heat damage to a great amount. The hair protectant comes in different forms. The most common form of hair protectant is in the form of sprays.
We apply the hair protectant on our hair before using the straightening or curling iron. It creates a protective layer on the hair. This layer is in between the hair and the styling tools. This helps in protecting the hair from the irons. Using the heat-based styling tools evaporates the moisture from the hair. It makes the hair dry and frizzy. The heat protectant makes sure to lock the moisture in the hair. It then smoothens the outer layer of the hair while protecting it from the heat of the hair styling tools.
Using heat protectant on your hair is very easy. You can do it by following these simple steps:
- Detangle your hair using a brush. Detangling your hair is very important as if you do not do it, then it can lead to breakage of the hair.
- After detangling the hair, take the required amount of heat protectant according to your hair length. If you have a spray heat protectant, then apply it directly.
- Apply the product directly to your hair. Do not apply it to the roots of the hair. Make sure to apply the product evenly. If you have wet hair, then wait for it to dry.
- After applying the heat protectant, comb your hair again. It is to ensure that the product spreads evenly on the hair.
- After evenly applying the product, you can use your styling tools without guilt. And you will have your frizz-free and perfectly styled hair ready.
After using the hair protectant, storing it properly is also very important. You need to keep it in a cool and dry area. The hot and humid place can ruin the product and its quality. It is also important to check the expiry date on the product. If the product is expired, then you should not use it. Using the expired hair protectant will not protect your hair from the styling irons. But it can also damage your hair. So, it is important to always check the expiry date of the product before using it.
Using heat protectant on your hair before using styling tools might not seem important to you. But the truth is that it is very crucial for your hair. Excess heating of your hair can evaporate all the moisture from your hair. This causes your hair to look frizzy and lifeless. It also causes breakage in your hair. Sometimes it also burns the hair. To prevent your hair from all these tortures, you need to use hair protectants. It does not completely protect your hair but reduces the chances of damage. And after using the hair protectant, you can style your hair without any fear. The best hair protectant for fine hair locks the moisture in the hair that makes the hair smooth and silky. It also provides bounce and volume to the hair. It is required to use the hair protectant every time before using styling irons.
Factors to look for while buying the best heat protectant for fine hair
Several factors are to be considered before buying that one heat protectant ideal for you. Some of the important factors are listed below:
1. Heat protecting range: The main task of a heat protectant is to protect the hair. It prevents the hair from the damage caused by the heat of the styling irons. The temperature of the styling irons can get high. So, the heat protectant needs to be that much heat resistant to protect the hair. The temperature of the styling tools goes up to 450 degrees F. The ideal heat protectant also claims to protect the hair from the temperature of up to 450 degrees F.
2. Form: Another important factor is the form of a heat protectant. The heat protectant comes in various forms like spray, cream, or serum. The most common type of heat protectant is in the form of a spray. The spray is often preferred because it is easy to apply and covers the hair evenly. It takes less time in covering the entire hair. It is important to cover each strand of hair evenly, to protect it from the damage.
3. Paraben-free, sulfate-free, and phosphate-free: Paraben, sulfate, and phosphate are the chemicals that are harmful to our hair. They damage our hair and causes frizz to the hair. The ideal hair products do not contain these chemicals. Heat protectants should also be free of paraben, sulfate, and phosphate. Always check the content of the heat protectant before buying it. Some heat protectants are cheaper, but they have these chemicals in them. These chemicals will hamper the repair process of the hair and will damage them.
4. Provides moisture: While protecting the hair from heat, the ideal heat protectant should also moisturize the hair. Heat protectants lock moisture into the hair and make them smooth and shiny. Nourishing the hair is crucial because protecting it from the heat is not enough. The hair requires to re-form and restore its original value. Heat protectants ensure this by moisturizing the hair and repairing the damage caused due to the excessive heat.
5. Color-safe: Nearly everyone colors their hair in today’s world. The heat protectant must be color-safe. If the heat protectant is not color-safe, then it can damage your colored hair. Most of the heat protectants manufactured are color-safe, keeping this factor in mind. But still, it is important to check whether it is safe for color or not before buying. Or else you will regret the purchase later.
6. Treats frizz: Frequent heating of the hair evaporates all the moisture from it. It makes the hair dry and frizzy. Frizzy hair is very difficult to manage and looks very unattractive. The heat protectants provide this additional facility for treating the frizzy hair. It hydrates the hair to treat the frizz. It helps in restoring the smoothness of the hair. Always go for the heat protectant that treats frizz while protecting your hair and providing moisture.
7. Easy to apply: The heat protectant should be easy to use. The easy application of the heat protectant consumes less time. You can spend more time styling the hair instead of applying the heat protectant. If the heat protectant is easy to apply, then anyone can use it without any hassle.
8. Non-sticky and non-greasy: Some heat protectants make the hair sticky and greasy. It affects the hairstyling and makes the hair look very unattractive. The heat protectant must be light-weighted so that it will not feel heavy on the head. The heat protectant should also be non-greasy. If it is light weighted and non-sticky, then it also helps the hairstyle to last for longer. The best heat protectant for fine hair makes sure that it is light weighted.
9. Holds the hairstyle: Another important factor is that the heat protectant should have the property to hold the hairstyle. People often have complaints that they are not able to keep their hairstyles for longer or that their hair cannot hold the curls. Keeping this problem in mind, many manufacturers have started making heat protectants that have a higher holding capacity. It enables the hair to hold the hairstyle for longer. After using these heat protectants, you can curl your straight hair. You can also straighten your curly hair without the fear of it getting ruined.
10. Hair type: Always match your hair type with the hair type for which the heat protectant is suitable. Different heat protectants are suitable for different hair types. It is necessary to check the hair type before buying the heat protectant. Many heat protectants in the market are ideal for all the hair types. If you have confusion regarding your hair type, then you can opt for those heat protectants.
Tips before using hair protectant
There are some tips that you should consider before using a hair protectant.
- Use the hair protectant every time before using styling tools.
- Use the product in consideration of your hair length. Do not use the excess product. It will only waste the product.
- Make sure that the product is applied evenly on the hair before styling it.
- Do not forget to wash off the product later.
- Read the label of the heat protectant carefully before using it.
- Limit the use of styling tools if possible.
- Do not apply the product on the roots of the hair.
Advantages of heat protectant
More than disadvantages, there are advantages of heat protectant. Some of them are listed below:
- The hair protectant locks the moisture in the cuticles of the hair. It makes the hair less dry and frizz-free. It provides you with smoother hair.
- Hair protectant protects your hair from the heat-based styling tools. It ensures that your hair remains the way they are even after using the styling tools.
- It restores moisture in the hair and keeps them hydrated. Hair protectants give life to your lifeless hair.
- Hair protectants make the hair look more attractive. When the hair is frizz-free and hydrated, it is automatically more manageable. It also makes the hair look attractive.
- Hairstyling becomes guilt-free after using hair protectants.
- These hair protectants are easy to use. No professional is required to use a hair protectant, and anyone can use it.
Difference between heat protectant and serum
Heat protectants are specifically designed to protect the hair from heat-based hairstyling tools. They can be in the form of a spray, cream, or serum. They provide a protective layer to the hair. This protective layer protects the hair from the styling irons. It also provides moisture to the hair. It restores moisture in the hair and makes them frizz-free. The components used in heat protectants are to protect the hair from the heat and to nourish the hair.
Hair serum provides shine to your hair. It acts as a styling agent for the hair. People use hair serum to restore the smoothness of the hair. It gives instant smooth and straight hair. The serum also calms the frizz in the hair. Some serums can be used as an alternative of heat protectants, but not all the serums provide this function. It depends on the ingredients of the serum. The basic function of hair serum is to provide instant smooth hair. It can protect your hair from the heat, but nothing is guaranteed. It is preferred to use both of them for their purposes.
Difference between heat protectant and leave-in conditioner
Heat protectants are used to protect the hair before using heat on them. It is manufactured using ingredients that protect the hair from heat. It reduces the damage caused to the hair. It also nourishes the hair that is damaged because of the excess heat used on it. Heat protectants are often recommended for those who use heat-based styling tools on their hair. It restores the moisture of the hair and hydrates it. It prevents the hair from damages.
Leave-in conditioners are used on the hair after the hair wash. They are supposed to stay on the hair until the next wash. Leave in conditioners provides moisture to the hair and makes them smooth and silky. When we use leave-in conditioners, it makes the hairstyling much better. As the hair stays the way you make them while styling because of these conditioners. It also protects the hair from split-ends, damages, and breakage. Some of the leave-in conditioners can be used as an alternative to heat protectant.
You can find the best heat protectant for fine hair online without many efforts. To ease your problem, we have listed here the heat protectants, and you can choose the best-suited one for yourself.
Ten best heat protectants for fine hair
This heat protectant from HSI PROFESSIONAL is available in the form of a spray. With the spray form, it is easier to apply the product on the hair. It is one of the best heat protectants for fine hair.
- This heat protectant protects the hair from up to 450 degrees F. heat exposure.
- This heat protectant spray is light and weightless. You will not feel heavy on your head after applying it.
- It locks the moisture in the hair and provides smooth and frizz-free hair.
- This heat protectant spray can also be used as a leave-in conditioner to hydrate and moisture your hair.
- It is used before hair styling using curling irons, blow dryers, and straightening irons.
- No harmful chemicals are used to make this heat protectant. It will not only protect your hair from heat but also harmful chemicals.
- It is also color-safe. You can use it on your colored hair without any fear of ruining the hair.
- This heat protectant is sulfate-free, paraben-free, and phosphate-free.
- You can also use this product on human hair extensions.
- Its volume is 8 Fluid ounces.
- It has antioxidant-rich argan oil and shine-boosting vitamins in it.
It is the best volumizing heat protectant for fine hair. Apart from protecting your hair from the heat, it works wonders in providing volume to the hair. This one is also in the form of a spray. It ensures easy and even application of the product on the hair.
- You can use this heat protectant on all types of hair.
- The product volume is 8 fluid ounces.
- It provides smooth, sleek hair. It also hydrates the hair and protects it from high-temperature styling tools.
- This heat protectant from CHI gives great volume to the hair.
- It consists of easy brush glide formula. This formula is ideal for smooth and sleek hairstyles.
- It contains various vitamins and proteins. The vitamins and proteins add additional moisture to the frizzy hair.
- It is amongst the best heat protectant for fine hair. On top of it, this heat protectant spray provides moisture and volume to the hair.
- This heat protectant from CHI is dairy-free.
This thermal spray is another best volumizing heat protectant for fine hair. Its spray bottle ensures easy application of the thermal spray on the hair.
- This styling thermal spray is ideal for straight, dry, thin, and fine hair. It helps in making the hair look fuller than before.
- It adds great body and volume to the hair. You can get this spray for yourself if you are looking for the best heat protectant for fine hair.
- This heat protectant is paraben-free. Paraben causes damage to the hair. This product ensures that no such damage is caused to the hair.
- Liquid volume- 8.5 fluid ounces
- This heat protectant spray is also dairy-free.
- This product is great if you have silky straight hair and want to curl it. It will help your hair hold the curls for longer than before.
- Hairstyling becomes effortless with this BIOLAGE styling thermal active spray.
This thermal spray gives shine and smoothness to each strand of the hair. Not only does it provide luster, but it protects the hair from heat to a great extent.
- This thermal spray protects the hair from up to 450 degrees F. of the heat of the styling tools.
- It prevents the hair from damages and ensures guilt-free hairstyling.
- It contains ingredients like hydrolyzed silk and quinoa. These ingredients provide soft, quick, and shiny blowouts.
- This thermal spray also repairs the split-ends in the hair.
- While using this thermal spray, the drying time is reduced. You do not have to wait for so long for the product to dry and to start the styling.
- You can use this product for all sorts of hair textures and types.
- It is completely safe for colored hair. You can use it on colored hair without any fear of damage.
- It makes your hair bouncier and smoother. It also helps in holding the curls for longer.
- The product volume is 6.08 fluid ounces.
It is an all-in-one leave-in conditioner and heat protectant spray. It conditions your hair while protecting it from the heat of the hair styling tools. This product gives you multiple benefits in one bottle.
- This heat protectant offers 25 benefits to the hair. It protects the hair from heat and makes the hair more manageable. It also nourishes the hair and prevents the damage of the hair.
- This product is paraben-free and sulfate-free. All these chemicals are harmful to the hair. It is also free from all the heavy waxes to make the product lightweight.
- It is suitable for all hair types and textures.
- The liquid volume of this conditioner and heat protectant is 150 ml.
- It hydrates the hair and fights frizz to provide silky smooth hair.
- It is a lightweight leave-in conditioner and heat protectant. It prevents the hair from getting sticky and greasy.
- This product lasts for a long time. You do not have to buy the product frequently.
- It also makes your hairstyle to last for longer.
This heat protectant spray is preferred for straight hairstyles. It treats the frizzy hair and provides them smoothness. It is great for protecting your hair from the damage caused by heat styling.
- It is a heat-activated straightening spray. It helps the hair to stay straight for longer. It keeps the hair straight and soft for up to three days.
- It contains keratin proteins in it. Keratin proteins make the hair silkier and smoother. It also removes frizz from the hair.
- It gives a natural shine to the hair.
- This product is amazing for styling straight hair. It works wonders for sleek hairstyles.
- It helps in detangling the hair in addition to its protection against heat.
- Its weightless formula covers every single strand of hair evenly.
- This heat protectant comes in four different sizes. This one is 3.5 ounces.
This hair protectant spray is best suited to protect your hair from repeated encounters with harsh temperatures. Apart from protecting it, it treats the damage caused to the hair.
- The brand claims that its hair protectant spray reduces the hair breakage up to 79%.
- It protects the hair from up to 450 degrees F temperature of the styling tools.
- It provides bounce and volume to the hair. It makes this product one of the best heat protectant for fine hair.
- This heat protectant is ideal for using a flat iron. It makes each strand of the hair sleek, smooth and shiny.
- The spray bottle makes the product easy to apply on the hair. It ensures that every strand of hair is evenly covered.
- It is suitable for all hair types and textures.
- Its liquid volume is 4.2 Fluid Ounces.
- This heat protectant spray is dairy-free.
- It is recommended to spray on dry hair before using the hot styling iron.
This thermal styling spray from Kenra Professional also provides volume and shine to the hair. You can use your styling iron after applying this product without any guilt. Its spray bottle makes the product easy to use.
- It creates a protecting layer on the hair. This layer ensures that minimum damage is caused to the hair because of the heat.
- This thermal styling spray gives heat protection up to 428 degrees F.
- It is non-sticky and does not make your hair look greasy or oily.
- It provides multiple treatments to the hair. It prevents the hair from getting damaged, makes them frizz-free and hydrated.
- This thermal styling spray holds the hairstyles for longer. You do not have to worry about your hairstyle getting ruined as this spray will hold it for longer.
- It can act as your savior if you have straight hair that cannot hold the curls. This thermal styling spray is great for holding the curls.
- This product is safe for colored hair. No harm will be caused to your colored hair because of this spray.
- Its liquid volume is 10.1 fluid ounces.
It is one of the best drugstore heat protectants for fine hair. It protects and treats the breakage and split-ends caused by the styling irons. It prepares your hair for the styling iron and makes it smooth and shiny.
- This heat protectant increases hair’s flexibility to re-form and recover.
- It guards the hair against heat and friction. It enables us to style our hair without any guilt.
- It provides moisture to the hair and restores its natural shine.
- It protects the hair from up to 450 degrees F temperature of the styling tools.
- This heat protectant is ideal for those who style their hair very often.
- It is non-sticky and does not make your hair look greasy.
- This heat protectant spray from TRESemme smells good. It also makes the hair smell amazing.
- This product is a great value for the money.
- It dries quickly. You do not have to wait for it to dry and then start styling. It dries very fast, and you can start the styling process instantly.
- It is the best drugstore heat protectant for fine hair that you can get.
It is a flat iron, curling wand, and hot blow-dry thermal guard. It contains the five best natural hair conditioning ingredients. It makes this one of the best natural heat protectants for fine hair.
- This hair protectant and conditioner is multitasking. It performs various functions for our hair.
- It acts as a natural sunscreen for the hair. It also locks moisture in the hair and makes it smooth and shiny.
- This hair protectant is completely color-safe.
- It hydrates the hair and eliminates the frizz from the hair.
- It includes Argon oil, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, vitamins, and Desert Aloe Vera. All these ingredients ensure proper conditioning of the hair.
- It comes with a convenient pump spray. The pump spray facilitates easy application of the product on the hair.
- It is made with an extra-light formula. It ensures that it does not feel heavy on the hair or make the hair greasy.
- The product is sulfate-free, paraben-free, and phosphate-free. All these chemicals are harmful to our hair and cause damage to the hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do hair heat protectants work?
Yes, hair heat protectants work. They create a protective layer on the hair that protects the hair from the high temperature of the styling tools. It is crucial to use the hair protectant before using styling irons. Styling irons can damage the hair in numerous ways.
2. What is the best natural heat protectant?
Natural heat protectants have natural ingredients in them. These ingredients do not harm the hair as they are natural. Most of these heat protectants are sulfate, paraben, and phosphate-free. You can simply get the best natural heat protectant for fine hair. Some of them are:
o HSI PROFESSIONAL Argan Oil Heat Protector
o HSI PROFESSIONAL Top 5 Heat Hair Protector & Conditioner
o Cantu Shea Butter Thermal Shield Heat Protectant
o GIOVANNI 2chic Ultra Moist Dual Action Protective Leave-In Spray
3. What is the best drugstore heat protectant for hair?
You can find numerous drugstore heat protectants in the market. But not all of them are of good quality. The best drugstore heat protectant in our consideration is TRESemmé Thermal Creations Heat Protectant Spray for Hair. It protects the hair from the heat while giving it a natural shine and treating the frizz of the hair.
4. Do you put heat protectants on wet or dry hair?
You can put heat protectants on either wet or dry hair, depending upon the product you are using. Some heat protectant calls for wet hair. While other demands for dry or damp hair. Usually, a heat protectant is applied to dry or damp hair.
5. What is a natural heat protectant for hair?
Natural heat protectants use natural ingredients in them. Minimum to no chemicals is used in natural heat protectants. They are free from sulfate, paraben, phosphate, and other harmful chemicals. Ingredients like argan oil, coconut oil, vitamins, and other natural oils are used in natural heat protectants for hair. All these ingredients are beneficial for the hair and restore the shine and smoothness of the hair.