Sun tanning is treated as a serious problem by most people. We all know that prolonged exposure to the Sun has dangerous impacts on the skin. But, times change, right! People are self-tanning their bodies to get the spectacular bronze glow! How’s that possible? With a tanning machine, as in the best spray tan machine.
But hold on, what is spray tanning exactly? It is a form of self-tanning or tanning in the Sun’s absence wherein we spray a mist onto the body. The key ingredient in this mist is Dihydroxyacetone (DHA). This spraying process is done by the DHA, where it interacts with the human skin and turns it tan or bronzy.
Though this bronzy glaze and texture don’t protect our skin from the Sun’s harmful UV and Infrared rays, the process is wholly safe for the skin, lasting until 3 to 7 days. Spray tanning is widely preferred by many people to give their skin the color they love. There are many devices capable of doing this, but we are looking at the best spray tan machine.
Before we jump into the detailed understanding of a spray tan machine and pick the right one, let’s understand the after-results and convenience of this process.
Advantages of Spray Tanning
There are many other alternatives for self-tanning like creams, mousses, gels, lotions, etc., using the same ingredient DHA as the core, but the results from spray tanning are excellent.
- Spray tanning is very easy when compared to the other self-tanning methods. We just need a proper machine and sometimes assistance. Either at a parlor or home, with the spray tan machine, we are good to go.
- It requires less time than other procedures. The spray tan machine evenly sprays the mist, and we just need to wait for it to blend. Isn’t it quicker than applying a gel or lotion onto the whole body?
- One concern with the self-tanning is its drying time. The other methods mentioned above take much time to sink in, whereas spray tanning dries pretty quickly. This saves you from messing your home and clothes too!
- A wide range of experiments is possible with spray tanning. As the color after tanning is different from person to person and varies with skin color, we can experiment a lot and then decide on the most suitable one.
- Spray tanning is fair enough and safe to use. There were some misconceptions initially that spraying was leading to side-effects. But the air was cleared very soon, and people could see the stunning results from spray tanning without any side-effects.
Fascinating to know all these, right! Well, before we get to know how to pick the right spray tan machine, let’s see the different types of machines available for us.
Spray Tanning Machines
Being the most comfortable way among all the self-tanning processes, spray tanning machines are available in different types based on various factors like purpose of usage, type of usage, etc.
- Airbrush Spray Gun Machines
These are widely used spray tan machines on the spray tanning salons’ professional front. Initially, these were designed as fake tattoo making but not very late, they’ve stepped into the tanning world. There are many airbrush spray gun machines but the most commonly used one is the airbrush machine with a compressor.
This type is cheaper and relatively less noisy when compared to the other varieties. Working at high pressure, these machines deliver larger quantities of spray tanning solution in less time. Due to this, there are chances of wastage and over spilling of the tanning solution.
- Low Volume Low Pressure (LVLP) Spray Tan Machines
The LVLP spray tanning machines fit the best for household purposes and businesses based on spray tanning methods. Here, the system is driven by a turbine, and it uses a gun to spray out the tanning solution. It gives quick results and an even skin surface. It is one of the most efficient processes when appropriately applied. It operates at low pressure and releases much noise due to the turbine’s extra fans’ presence.
The tanning quality and appearance depend mainly on the applier’s skills, as it requires a lot of perfection and precision. These machines aren’t suitable for mobile tanning purposes due to the noise. These systems come under the expensive lot and take 10-15 minutes for the procedure on an average. The over-spraying chances are the least from these machines.
- High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) Spray Tan Machines
These are the most popular lot used in the tanning industry. help find their use in mobile tanning businesses and spray tan salons. The best of this variant comes with a power of 400 to 700W. Being highly portable and lightweight, the HVLPs is immensely advantageous and widely used for mobile businesses. There is a variety of help, but all of them are similar in functionality.
With a deluxe gun that uses only 30 to 50mls at a time, there is no leakage and wastage from these tan machines. It has an extraordinary performance output, i.e., through this machine, we can spray tan a person within 5 minutes. An automatic shutoff system ensures that there is no overheating of the machine during usage. To aid in faster drying, it provides an automatic heating feature.
- Automatic Spray Tanning Booths
These are similar to a shower in the washrooms. It comprises of an enclosed booth with various nozzles on its sides. The person needs to stand in the center of the cubicle or booth, and then the spray tan solution is directly sprayed onto him through the nozzles. It is slightly expensive and requires professionals for the setup.
As the setup is expensive, the person willing to go with this procedure cannot avoid the costly billing. Though this setup appears to be simple to work, the handheld spray gun results are far better than the automatic spray tan booths. It requires manual touchup for the uncovered areas. Though there are a lot of liabilities, the reason people opt for this method is the time it takes, i.e., in less than a minute, the tanning process is complete. Considered to be the most private tanning method, this setup suits the best for upscale spray tannings.
Best Spray Tan Machine – Buying Guide
The above information clears the air for the choice based on the purpose of usage. Once we decide the purpose, there are many other crucial aspects like pressure systems, materials used, etc., that require our attention to choose the best spray tan machine. Here is a detailed description of all those considerations.
Factors to Look for to buy a Spray Tan Machine
- Pressure System
Pressure plays a crucial role in tanning procedures. The mist used for tanning when sprayed at high pressures delivers fantastic results. Also, the process is complete within no time. Whatever might be the purpose, time, and efficiency are essential for long-lasting usage.
As it is already discussed that the HVLPs are the spray tan machines operating at high pressures, they fit the best for any usage. Based on personal use and requirements, we can choose from the other variants as well.
- Spray Gun and Cup
The most crucial part of a spray tan machine is the spraying gun, as the tanning solution delivers from it. Make sure that the gun has a reasonable spraying capacity based on usage type. There is a cup that accompanies the spray gun holding the tanning liquid. The cup should at least have a 2 to 3-ounce capacity for proper tanning.
Without the mentioned quantity, there is no point in using the spray tan machine as the body parts would not tan properly. Generally, two ounces of tanning liquid is necessary for spraying the whole body. So, don’t go beyond three-ounce cup capacity as it results in a lot of wastage.
- Materials Used
The spray tan machine should be strong to withstand the high-pressure functioning. As the tanning liquid flows with high pressures, a machine with low material quality is a waste of money. Weaker materials tend to wear out soon, and there are maximum chances of damage to parts.
So, whatever might be the purpose, choose a spray tan machine that comes with a premium-quality and durable material finish. This is an assurance for the tool’s long lifespan and uninterrupted functioning.
Space is always a problem for people who travel a lot. They need to take many things along while traveling. Though there is no frequent traveling, space is still a problem at home. A machine occupying more space creates hassle and usually heavier.
So, a spray tan machine that is lightweight and travel-friendly is a perfect choice for all the requirements. Please don’t go for a tanning machine that weighs beyond twenty pounds, including the hose, as it would be challenging to use it too.
- Power Consumption
A machine consuming a lot of power is not a suitable choice. Though we are using the spray tan machine for professional purposes or at home, we wouldn’t choose a machine consuming more power and increasing the electricity bill. We are already spending something to buy the machine, right? Why would we want to spend more eve after buying it? Also, high power consumption might lead to electrical shocks. A machine that is so dangerous to work with is not what we are looking for. So, search for a tan machine that requires optimum powers.
How can we forget the cleaning part of a machine that works with a tanning liquid? People are skeptical about using the spray tan machines due to the fear of cleaning them and the mess that follows after usage. So, the first thing to avoid is over-spraying of tanning liquid.
Check for the absence of overspray and ensure that the cups holding the tanning liquid are leak-proof. Most of the present-day tanning kits come with a tent booth for easy cleaning and hassle-free usage. So, check with these aspects before picking a spray tan machine.
Be it professional usage or household functioning; customization is always an advantage. Some spray tan machines offer adjustable spray nozzles and diverse speed settings. Through this, the user can control the amount of liquid to be sprayed and its flow during the process. The airflow’s speed, if controlled, can be an excellent benefit to avoid overspill and achieve the best results.
The heating option is another feature of importance, as discussed earlier. Working at high pressures and speeds releases a lot of heat that can damage the machine internally. So, choose a tan machine that offers either an auto-off or the heating feature.
Additional accessories are required apart from the spray tan machine for the self-tanning process. These accessories include tanning liquids with different colors, nozzles with different diameters, nose plugs and disposable footpads for protection, and a tent. All these tools aid in easy spray tanning without making it messy.
Sometimes, the spray tanning solutions come in different intensities to fit in precisely with the body. SO, go with the choice that includes all or most of these accessories and avoids spending extra money by buying them separately.
- Ease of Usage
It is difficult for beginners to handle advanced equipment without complete knowledge. In that case, go with a small and light machine that is comfortable to maneuver and hold. Also, look for a machine with strong and ergonomically designed grips to avoid muscle cramps and machine damage.
Without a user manual or instructions guide, it might be confusing to use the spray tan machine even if we are professional. So, don’t forget to check for this option. Usually, most of the present-day spray tan machines or any tools come with a proper user manual to avoid inconvenience.
Tips for Better Spray Tanning
It isn’t wrong to be extra careful while choosing something. After all, we are investing our money right! Here are some useful tips for efficiently carrying out the spray tanning procedure and getting excellent results.
- Before starting the tanning process, complete waxing or shaving at least a day before to avoid the appearance of dots. These dots usually appear as the skin’s pores absorb the tan solution.
- To create a smooth surface and to get even tanning, exfoliate the skin with an oil-free method a day before performing spray tanning. Exfoliation makes the tanning liquid adhere to the skin properly and gives a stunning tan.
- Don’t apply anything onto the skin before tanning and avoid makeup. These can restrict the tanning solution and ruin the results.
- If you wish to protect the nails, cover them with a fair and lasting nail coat that can stay and protect the nails from the tanning liquid.
- Cover your hair entirely either with a shower cap or in another way to avoid the tan solution from sticking onto the hair. To protect your palms, use baking soda or barrier cream. For the eyebrows, a little moisturization would do.
- Avoid using perfumes and deodorants when you are self-tanning. The perfumes and do contain some chemicals which can react with the tanning solution and leave green patches on the skin.
Tips during the Process
- Hold the spray tan machine at least 2 to 5 inches away from you. Go from bottom to the top, i.e., start with your feet and gradually come to the upper body.
- Surround yourself with a fully ventilated area while performing the spray tanning. Though the DHA is safe for the skin, inhaling it can cause dizziness and cough. So, ensure proper ventilation before starting the process.
- The smell from the tanning solution isn’t pleasant and sometimes unbearable. So, mentally prepare yourself to adjust to the smell until you take a shower.
- If you plan to go out immediately after the tanning procedure, check with the weather forecast and avoid getting wet in the rain. This may wash out the tanning solution.
- Don’t take a shower or have a bath until a minimum of 6 to 8 hours after the tanning is complete. The solution requires time to develop the color. Also, wear loose and dark clothes to avoid rubbing of the solution. Remember to wear clothes after the solution Bdries off.
- Avoid rubbing your skin and crossing the legs after tanning as these are a common mistake by most people. Doing these forms streaks on the surface. Also, don’t do any activities that cause sweating until you have a bath after tanning is complete.
- For a long-lasting tan, use a hydrating moisturizer with a balanced PH level. Avoid products with alcohol and acids.
- Avoid pedicures, manicures, and hot water bathing for a long-lasting tan. Hard soaps, exfoliators, and related products can scrub off the tanning solution.
- After having a bath or shower, pat dries your body and do not rub it vigorously as it might scrub the tanned surface.
- Prefer having limited showers during the time until the tanning is intact.
Best Spray Tan Machine Reviews
This spray tanning machine from the Existing Beauty store perfectly fits professional usage in salons. It comes with the following features:
- It is an airbrush type tanning machine designed for professional usage. It ideally fits all the business usages delivering outstanding results after every use.
- It gives an even and smooth finish to each user and provides hassle-free cleaning.
- This spray tanning comes with a detailed step-by-step guide directing its users towards proper usage.
- It uses premium-quality materials for the body and the construction, tan spray solution, and self-tanner.
- It comes with extra accessories at considerable pricing.
- To ensure user satisfaction, Existing Beauty provides a money-back guarantee with a full refund in case of dissatisfaction.
The Sunless Spray tan machine from Sun Laboratories is the best spray tan machine. Fitting the best for household needs, it comes with the following features:
- It gives the extra benefits of nourishment, hydration, revitalization, and elasticity apart from flawlessly tanning the skin.
- The machine is accompanied by a lot of accessories like the Dark Spray Tanning Solution, Tanning Tent, Tanning Mitt, etc.
- It uses completely natural ingredients, and all the products are free from parabens.
- It delivers professional performance at home with its premium-quality build and chemical-free solutions.
- It comes with a 350 ml cup capacity, a safety glove, and optimum power consumption.
- Sun Laboratories also provide the best spray tan machine for beginners under considerable pricing with excellent features.
This spray tan machine from Belloccio is an HVLP type tanning machine and considered the best spray tan machine for professional usage. It comes with the following features:
- The T75 model from Belloccio delivers excellent results with the least possible wastage.
- It comes with a detailed user guide and e-video assistance, including a step-by-step procedure describing how to safely use the equipment.
- Belloccio offers a 2-year warranty for the spray tan machine.
- The tanning is fast-drying, odor-less, and lasts for up to 10 days.
- The tanning solution is paraben-free and includes aloe vera extracts.
The Ultra Pro spray tanning system from Turbo Tan store is ideal for the best spray tan machine. It comes with the following intriguing features:
- It is an HVLP type of turbo spray tanning machine with long-lasting durability.
- It includes a four-solution pack and a complete kit of spray tanning accessories.
- It perfectly tans a variety of skin types from olive to fair and deep bronze shades.
- It is accompanied by an online tutorial with a detailed guide on using the best spray tan machine.
- The system is offered with a 2-year warranty.
Probably the best spray tan machine available in the market is this tool from Belloccio. With a standard turbine spraying and outstanding performance, it offers the following features.
- It comes with a Quick connection plug and a 14-ounce plastic cup, perfectly balancing professional usage with flexible usage.
- With a lightweight plastic body, the best spray tan machine from Belloccio falls under the category of HVLP spray tan machines.
- It is easily portable and comfortable to clean.
- It also suits mobile businesses in the tanning industry.
If you are looking for the best spray tan machine, this tanning machine with a professional spraying gun from Onyx is suitable. It offers the following features:
- It comes with an added layer for sound control and works with the least possible noise.
- It is efficiently designed with a balanced and suitable airflow to deliver even and soft mist.
- The 0.5mm needle made of stainless-steel limits overspray from the machine.
- It is lightweight and easily portable, fitting appropriately for mobile businesses and household usage as well.
- It comes with a simple one-button operation, making it easy for beginners.
- It is accompanied by a one-year warranty and 24/7 customer service support.
- A money-back guarantee is another bonus with the best spray tan machine.
A machine with exceptional performance and long-lasting durability from Maximist comes with the following features:
- It is the best choice requiring more performance, i.e., the mobile businesses and spray tan salons.
- It comes with easy access having all the controls on the spraying gun.
- It is convenient to use and lightweight.
- It comes with Teflon incorporation.
- The ‘blow dry’ feature accounts for precise tanning and avoids overspray to a great extent.
Choosing the best spray tan machine isn’t a challenging task if we are aware of our usage and limitations of the machines. The vital features that require our attention before buying a tan machine, along with different suitable choices in the market, are discussed above. The best spray tan machine is another way of picking the apt one. If we are skeptical about these machines’ usage and performance, the best spray tan machine is always a go-to solution to clear all the misconceptions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best spray tan machine for home use?
Refer to the information mentioned above to pick the best choice for household usage. Some of the choices are Onyx and Bellaccio.
What is the best professional spray tan equipment?
The best tanning machine for professional usage is mentioned above for perusal. For more options, we can browse amazon.com.
What brand of a spray tan is the best?
Brands like Bellaccio, Onyx, Sun Laboratories, Maximise, etc. are leading manufacturers of excellent spray tan machines.
How long does a machine spray tan last?
This entirely depends on the manufacturing brand, but, on average, spray tanning lasts between 7 to 10 days.
Is a spray tan worth it?
Spray tanning is proven to be the best and the easiest of all the self-tanning methods with exceptional and long-lasting results. It consumes less time compared to others.
Can I leave my spray tan on overnight?
Unless you are well acquainted with self-tanning, it isn’t advisable to leave spray tan overnight. Doing so can lead to darker tanning, off colors, etc.