Your hair is your crown, indeed! And you were born with the responsibility of taking care of it instead of messing it. And taking care of your hair means going deep and nourishing it from within using hair care products like the best keratin shampoos.We all know what our hair is majorly made up of. Yes, keratin – the magical protein that is also a part of our nails and skin. The thing is, keratin can be lost while styling our hair or even combing it. So, it is very important to replenish the hair using shampoos, conditioners, and other substances that provide good quality of keratin.
Also, nowadays, many people go for different hairstyles and techniques for which their hair requires a lot of preventive measures to minimize damage. Balayage, bleaching, perming, and coloring are some of the common practices done to beautify the hair. Then we have the keratin treatment that is done to smoothen, soften, and gloss to the hair.
However, in this treatment, the follow-up and the products you use to maintain the effect matter a lot. So, it is extremely necessary to choose the right shampoo for keratin treated hair and similarly, other promising things which do what they claim and do not create a hole in your pocket (the treatment already costs a lot!).
So, in the next part of this article, we are going to be discussing the main factors to look for when we compare and shortlist the best keratin shampoos. And then, we will also take a look at 5 of these most reviewed and talked about products and understand what makes them so special.
Factors to keep in mind while searching for the best keratin shampoos
There are a few important things that play a deciding role when buying anything. Well, so is the case with our topic of discussion.
Let’s talk about those deal-breakers that will help us find the best keratin shampoos!
The keratin shampoos are of two types – ones which display keratin as the main ingredient and the rest which use keratin as a side-ingredient. So, do go for the shampoo that offers more amount of keratin. Also, keratin is composed of 18 amino acids, which have specific roles. So, if you get a shampoo that has all of them, it would be great.
Also, there is no upper limit for keratin in any shampoo for keratin treated hair. This means that our hair will never over-absorb keratin. Damaged hair is negatively-charged and healthy hair is positively-charged. Since keratin only attaches itself to negatively-charged parts, the hair will stop absorbing keratin once there is no more damaged hair.
Also, when you are looking for a shampoo for keratin treated hair; make sure that the one you choose does not contain any sulfate, sodium chloride, or harsh detergents like sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate.
These chemicals can wash the keratin’s effect away and drain the natural oils of the hair, leaving it frizzy and dull. Taking care of this information, many shampoos have infused many alternatives to the above-mentioned substances. For example, sodium lauryl sulfoacetate (SLSA) is a more skin-friendly alternative to sodium lauryl sulfate.
Also, you might stumble upon ingredients like benzoic acid or benzyl benzoate. Don’t stress because they are the friendly oils that moisturize the hair.
So, while checking the list of the ingredients, do not worry if there is a sodium compound or a sulfate compound other than the listed ingredients. They might just be substituents for the harsher ones. But, do check if you need to satisfy your curiosity.
We all don’t mind an inexpensive shampoo for keratin treated hair. And if it also happens to be one of the best keratin shampoos, why not!
But before jumping on a cheap shampoo, do remember something. Even though they won’t disclose it, some companies offering cheap shampoos use bad-quality keratin.
While the good-quality keratin smoothens and brightens our hair, bad-quality keratin will cause a build-up and give a crusty and dry feeling to the hair.
But, not every company uses bad keratin. So the gist is, do not depend on the price too much.
- pH of the shampoo
The pH of the keratin shampoo matters a lot. Too much or too less pH will damage the hair. So, go for shampoos with pH range from 3.5 to 5.5 because they work the best at this level. Moreover, each category of pH is for different uses. For example, more acidic pH is for treating damaged hair. Let us understand this more. Our hair has several outer coatings called the cuticles. They remain sealed to prevent the entry of any foreign particle like a chemical or dust. So, when an alkaline (higher pH) substance comes in contact with the cuticles, they open up. This makes the hair brittle, dry and ultimately, damaged.
Therefore, it is advised to use a weakly-acidic shampoo for keratin treated hair to maintain the cuticles and give a smooth, non-frizzy look to the hair. And, if the shampoo is not smoothening your hair, its pH is not in the appropriate range and is most probably in the alkaline range (pH 7.1 to pH 14).
But, unfortunately, no shampoo mentions its pH. So, have faith regarding this factor and check the best keratin shampoos based on the other factors listed here.
- Other aspects
Look for a shampoo which has vitamins and antioxidants. They will revitalize the hair and maintain the hair color and shine.
All these factors should help anyone who is in search of the best keratin shampoos for their normal or keratin-treated hair. These shampoos will add vibrance and life to the hair by smoothening and softening it.
Here are the Best Keratin Shampoos
The next section of this article will give you a glimpse of 5 of the best keratin shampoos available which are highly recommended by hairstylists and customers, and enjoy a lot of positive reviews and feedback.
The first shampoo for keratin treated hair or any non-treated hair on this curated list is from Alfaparf Milano, which is the leading Italian brand for salon hair color and hair care products. Suitable for all kinds of hair, this product gives a salon-like, long-lasting treatment to the hair.
- The shampoo leaves the hair smooth and soft.
- It is sulfate-free and salt-free.
- It lathers well even when a small quantity of it is used.
- One of the two main ingredients is the Babassu oil which moisturizes hair.
- The other ingredient is the Kera-collagen complex which is composed of hydrolysed keratin and quaternised collagen. They rearrange the formation of the hair’s keratin complex.
- After its application, you can easily detangle your hair even when it is wet.
- It controls frizz.
- It is packed with a very pleasant fragrance.
- This is a very good shampoo for keratin treated hair.
- Many have reported that their keratin treated hair lasted for nearly 5 months due to this shampoo. (Normally, this treatment lasts for 6-12 weeks.)
The second shampoo on this list is from the hairstyling and hair care brand Keratin Complex. Packed with a lot of beneficial ingredients, this product has many positive reviews.
- It is free of sulfates and sodium chloride.
- It controls frizz.
- This product also adds a lot of shine.
- It has hydrolyzed keratin proteins of wheat and soy.
- Its regular use restores strength to the hair.
- Suitable for all hair types, treated or non-treated.
- Very inexpensive.
This is, again, one of the best keratin shampoos that have received a lot of positive feedback due to their ingredients and overall credibility.
- Free from sulfates and paraben.
- Moisturizes hair and improves its elasticity.
- Suitable for revitalizing treated (colored, keratin-treated, etc) and non-treated hair types.
- Great for daily use.
- Pleasant fragrance.
- Protects hair damage due to humidity, exposure to sun, thermal styling, etc.
- Promotes the growth of hair.
- Softens the hair and makes it silky to touch.
- Worth spending your money on.
The fourth product is from the house of the very famous hairstyling and hair care brand named Peter Coppola Beauty LLC. Being very beneficial to your hair, this one is worth every penny you spend on it and can very easily occupy the first position in the list of the best keratin shampoos.
- Its pH balanced formula improves shine and treats hair damage.
- It is free from sodium chloride, sulfates, and paraben.
- This is a specifically designed shampoo for keratin treated hair.
- It can also help prevent scalp dryness and color fading.
- It controls frizz and prevents hair breakage and split ends.
- This shampoo is also suitable for overtly oily hair as it removes the excess oil and prevents dryness.
- It makes the keratin treatment last longer.
- Overall, this is a great shampoo with a good price.
The last product on this checklist is from the unique line of hair care products Kerargenic. This brand is known for infusing several organic substances with the latest technology to create products that are very useful and least harmful.
- It is free from sulfates and salt.
- One of the main ingredients is Argan oil that revitalizes the hair and stops the damage.
- The product also protects the hair from damage due to UV rays.
- It has many silk amino acids to care for the hair.
- It also has hydrolyzed silk to smoothen and soften hair.
These days, when people are constantly trying to improve the quality of their hair artificially by introducing various chemicals and treatments, many tend to forget that the hair is very delicate. It can only go through so much.
So, we have to ensure that our hair is given some notice before we try to manipulate them. Also, there are some tips that we can follow during our hair care regimen.
- Never comb your hair immediately after hair wash.
- Completely dry your hair before styling your hair in any way.
- Avoid bleaching because bleach is alkaline. Hence, it will force the cuticles open and cause hair damage.
- While straightening, do not overheat a section of hair again and again. Instead of producing the desired straight effect, it will irrevocably damage the hair.
- If you use hair products like gels and creams too frequently (which is wrong, first of all), they can cause product build-up in the hair. To remove this, wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo once in a while. (This kind of shampoo is very strong, so use it once in a while.)
- It is normal to lose 100-150 strands in a day. So, do not fret. But if you are losing more than this, the problem might be your hair products. If they are fine, your hair type must not have matched with any of the ingredients.
- Do not use warm water to wash your hair. It will unnecessarily dry your hair out.
If you make sure that these tips are followed to the T, there is no need to depend on hair care products too much. Also, try nourishing your hair once in a while with natural stuff like virgin coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil, butter, Indian gooseberry, coconut milk, onion juice, etc.
They will organically revitalize your hair and strengthen it better than the paid-for hair care products.
Some things are best done using your grandma’s recipes!
- Is keratin shampoo good?
Yes, keratin shampoos are good for your hair, regardless of its condition. Everyone loses keratin due to styling. Even if you don’t like styling your hair, the protein can also be lost due to mere combing. Other than replenishing keratin in the hair, keratin shampoos also smoothen and soften the hair, making it more manageable.
- Should I buy a keratin shampoo that is not sodium-free?
The only questionable ingredients related to sodium are sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium chloride, and sodium laureth sulfate. Other sodium compounds are most probably preservatives or less harmful alternatives to the above-mentioned chemicals. So, it is very hard for any hair product to be sodium-free. Hence, you could buy a keratin shampoo that is free from sodium lauryl (and laureth) sulfate and sodium chloride.
- Are the best keratin shampoos safe for hair color?
Most of the best keratin shampoos are known to be safe for colored hair. This can be identified from the fact that they do not contain any sulfate or sodium chloride or paraben. These chemicals can damage the hair color and dry the hair out by stripping off the essential oils.