Having itchy and dry skin? Well, a compromised skin barrier can lead up to those skin defects, and even worse, it might lead to skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.
How to let the dryness off? It’s pretty simple. One just needs to moisturize the dry zone on their skin. How to do it? It’s simple too. A moisturizing cream with essential hydrating ingredients helps. These moisturizing creams tend to reinforce the skin barrier with these essential hydrating ingredients for the skin.
So, these hydrating ingredients like “Hyaluronic acid”, “Ceramic Cream”, etc. offer a moisturizing outlook thanks to their replenishing essential components for the skin barrier.
CeraVe moisturizing cream, popularly known as CeraVe in the Tub, is now the cult favorite among its counter-parts thanks to its effective tendency in hydrating the dry areas of the skin and in restoring the protective barrier for the skin.
As for its name – “CeraVe in the Tub”, it was nicknamed as such on the subreddit – “Skincare Addiction” that now is crowded with over a whopping 1 million skincare enthusiasts! Next time you come across the name while on a surf through the internet, take it as the thread or a forum about the “CeraVe moisturizing cream”.
Now that the name cerave in tub is familiar, it’s time to look into the fact of what makes this cream effective. Let’s begin with the ingredients!
Ingredients of the cerave in tub
The CeraVe moisturizing cream is first of all –
- Non-comedogenic, that means there is no such ingredient in the product that tends to clog or block the pores on your skin.
- An Oil-free and a fragrance-free ceramide cream so as to hold onto the moisture (which happens to be our primary motive) and simultaneously improving the look (fresh) and feel (not dry).
- Hypoallergenic, which means there is a highly unlikely chance of allergic reactions and show-ups.
Of all the ingredients, the major players are:
- Hyaluronic acid
A potent humectant in the cerave in tub cream that is very much ideal for keeping the dry skin hydrated. Guess what, it is naturally occurring and found on our very skin! However, this humectant tends to deplete with age and hence without proper skincare, the condition leads to dry and itchy skin.
So, there comes a need for reintroducing the humectant onto the skin. It is very much effective in hydrating the skin which as it does by absorbing moisture from the environment. As it goes, it helps in effectively reducing the wrinkles & lines over the dry zones.
- Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-ll, Ceramide 1
Ceramides happen to the epidermal lipids that too are naturally found on our skin. The outer layer composition consists of 50% of ceramides which tops in the overall composition (the next spots are covered by Cholesterol (25%) and fatty acids (15%)).
These lipids help our skin by –
- Restoring the skin barrier
- Retaining moisture
- Fighting off skin aggressors and hence repairing damaged skin
- Softening and smoothening of the skin
- Preventing transepidermal water loss (TEWL)
Cermides too tend to deplete from our skin just like the Hyaluronic acids with age. Luckily, cerave in tub comes with three different Ceramides, and hence you can take off the worrisome look!
Glycerin is another naturally occurring component found in our tissues. It is hygroscopic in nature i.e. is also one of those humectants that tend to absorb moisture from the surrounding environment and from the deeper layers of skin called dermis.
This ingredient as well tends to strengthen the skin barrier and shields the skin from its aggressors. Although with its very nature it can turn our cerave in tub and other skincare products sticky, the inclusion of other essential fatty alcohols as its ingredients (like Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceryl Alcohol, etc.) which tend to act as detackifiers, makes sure that the moisturizer is smooth and velvety.
- Caprylic / Capric triglycerides
This is one other major component in our cerave in tub cream, which tends to allow itself to stay as a liquid at room temperature and hence making itself a favorable ingredient to formulate into the cosmetic products.
This component is essentially a coconut oil with no lauric fatty acid components. So, this absence of lauric fatty acids tends to make the coconut oil more tolerable against Malassezia, eczema, and other such skin sensitivities.
This component with the absence of lauric fatty acids is what separates our cerave in tub or the CeraVe moisturizing cream effective in preventing skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, etc.
Petrolatum, or petroleum jelly or Vaseline as is called widely, tends to form a barrier on our skin by sitting on top of them. You might have a query like “Oh wait! What if they block down those skin pores?” Well, these molecules happen to be too big to clog down those skin pores. So, they aren’t “comedogenic” as is believed on the contrary.
Added as an occlusive ingredient to our cerave in tub, petrolatum tends to seal down existing moisture into our skin. Guess what, it is the most powerful occlusive that helps in preventing the TEWL (trans-epidermal water loss) up to a stunning 98%!
A very common ingredient in various lotions thanks to its tolerance across various types of skin that even tends to include the acne-prone skin types!
Anyways, its functions as an ingredient include –
- Functioning as a moisturizing agent by improving the moisturizing barrier on our skin
- Preventing the trans-epidermal water loss (TEWL) from our skin
- Smoothening our skin surface
- Protecting from pollution and other kinds of skin aggressors from the environment.
Now that the major components of our moisturizing cream and their functions are covered, let’s hop onto the actual usage and application of the product.
How to use the CeraVe moisturizing cream?
The usage and application part is very straight forward. Apply as much product as all needed be it your face or your body by taking adequate quantity onto your fingers and gently massaging it onto your skin. Voila! It’s done.
If there are usages of other occlusives like Vaseline (the petroleum jelly), cerave healing ointments, Aquaphor, or other such creams and lotions, one can apply the cream as a last step of routine before their use.
To simplify the usage even more, if you are applying it on your –
- Face – Then apply the cream after having your face cleansed and applied with other serums or acne-fighting topicals. Applying the cream twice a day is recommended.
- Body – Then apply the cream and massage it gently over the areas that need hydration. Applying once a day is sufficient, but nothing’s going the wrong way if applied multiple times a day.
The cream tends to offer a mattifying effect for your skin on application. Despite its rich-moisturizing content, it doesn’t offer such noticeable outlooks except for the softness when touched. Yes! The cream tends to incredibly smoothen out your skin and when it does and will, don’t be perplexed over it!
So, what makes this CeraVe moisturizing cream popular and a cult favorite among the skincare enthusiasts? That’s what the next section is for!
What’s the reason behind the popularity of the CeraVe in the Tub?
Not one or two, but it has got multiple reasons to be loved as a skincare solution. Listed below are an array of reasons that tend to drive those skincare enthusiasts towards the cream. No one is going to be perplexed if you are going to fall for it!
- Developed by Dermatologists
Let’s begin from the very start – the development of a product. The very reason that the CeraVe moisturizing cream and other CeraVe products are effective is that they are tested and developed by skilled dermatologists. The reason very much suffices to trust the CeraVe brand for your skincare and its health.
- Multi-purpose usage
CeraVe moisturizing cream is suitable to be applied on both face and body. Starting from moisturizing the skin and protecting the skin barrier, its purpose goes all the way to skin softening and smoothening i.e. improving the look and the feel of your skin.
- Patented MVE delivery features
The cream features the MVE patented delivery tech that tends to regulate a steady flow of moisturizing ingredients like hyaluronic acid and the three ceramides thereby ensuring proper hydration of the skin throughout the day.
Not all skincare products are accessible at an affordable price. But thanks to the drugstore in not disappointing the skincare enthusiasts and other users of the cream, as the cream is very much affordable and satisfies the budget. Being a staple product adds to its advantage of being accessible so that one is likely to find it at a local store.
- Other features
Probably the best part! Everyone weighs on effective skincare products and simultaneously don’t want themselves to walk around with greasy skin. Guess what, the CeraVe in the tub has lot more in its armory of additional features apart from just being a non-greasy cream. Have a look at the list below:
- Non-greasy (as stated above)
- Incredibly moisturizing
- Oil-free (note that being oil-free doesn’t mean non-greasy as some products tend to be greasy although oil-free. Nevertheless CeraVe accounts both Oil-free and non-greasy and that is what makes it special!)
Want more reasons to make the cream your favorite? Just give it a straight forward use!
Breakouts caused due to the CeraVe moisturizing cream
Although the product accounts for being non-comedogenic, people with acne-prone skin tend to find breakouts because of the consistent use of the cream.
The cream, being thick, on its use of consistency may sometimes become uncomfortable for people with oily skin.
So, not necessary to be serious about the cream being accounted for severe issues, people with acne-prone skin can still use the product since the cream tends to be very much effective as a lotion. Those acne-prone people not finding any sorts of breakouts with the cream can rely on applying the cream solely during the nights if they find the application of the cream to be too thick during the day time.
Where to look for buying the CeraVe moisturizing cream?
One can look out for the product at –
- Walmart (In-store)
- CVS (Consumer value stores – Online, In-store)
Frequently asked questions
- What is CeraVe in the tub?
CeraVe in the Tub happens to be a nickname for the product CeraVe moisturizing cream thanks to over 1 million skincare enthusiasts on the Subreddit – “Skincare Addiction”. It is a popular drugstore skincare cream used for moisturizing the dryness and itching on your skin.
- Is CeraVe moisturizing cream good for applying onto your face?
Yes, the cream is suitable to be applied to both the face and body. A pea-size amount of the cream onto your fingers would suffice for applying it on your face.
However, there have been notices of breakouts from people with acne-prone skin. So, people with such acne-prone skin should approach the product with caution. Also, the thick consistency of the cream tends to be uncomfortable for people with oily skin.
Except for these conditions, the cream is very effective and recommended for its application onto your face.
- Is the CeraVe moisturizing cream non-comedogenic?
Yes, the CeraVe moisturizing cream happens to be a non-comedogenic cream, so the layer of ingredients won’t clog or block pores on your skin and nor do they cause acne.
- What is the MVE technology that is used in the cream?
MVE technology stands for Multivesicular Emulsion technology which is used by the CeraVe moisturizing cream and other CeraVe products in releasing and regulating the key ingredients slowly for time to ensure proper hydration and nourishment of the skin and in maintaining the skin’s natural barrier.
- Is the CeraVe moisturizing cream non-irritative?
Yes, the CeraVe moisturizing cream is tested to be non-irritative and fragrance-free. It is also oil-free and suitable for sensitive skin. However, in cases of acne-prone skin or oily skin, or if allergic and sensitive to a particular ingredient or ingredients, it is recommended for you to consult a dermatologist.
- The cream happens to be an ideal solution for moisturizing your skin thanks to its essential ingredients like ceramides, hyaluronic acid, petrolatum, etc. So, the ingredient score is pretty much on a check.
- It can be applied on both face and the body with the only exception of use to those with acne-prone skin or oily skin.
- The cream is incredibly effective in dealing with the dryness and itchy feeling of the skin. Thanks to its effective mix of ingredients, the cream tends to intensely hydrate those areas of dryness and hence resulting in a softened skin.
- The cream features an array of aspects like non-greasy, oil and fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, etc. that separates the cream from its counter-parts.
- The product is very much affordable and accessible online (at Amazon, CVS) if not at local stores.
- Overall, the CeraVe moisturizing cream is ideal for nearly all skin types and particularly to those with their moisture and skin barriers damaged.