Women take a lot of care in maintaining their looks and appearance. After all, looking beautiful is bliss, isn’t it? Though this isn’t easy, we being women, manage everything quite comfortably. We have many aids like kajal, lipstick, compact, eyeliner, and others to improve our facial look.
To have flawless eyes, the best eyeliner for sensitive eyes is a safe supplement. Why are we discussing sensitive eyes in particular? The products we usually use come with many allergens and reacting substances that can cause severe damage to our skin and eyes.
Though some women like me have sensitive eyes from the beginning, their eyes become sensitive for most people due to the cosmetics’ side-effects. Casual, formal, party, or anything, whatever might the look be, it is incomplete without a suitable eyeliner, right? Let’s not waste any time and understand how to choose the best eyeliner for sensitive eyes and grab the appropriate one.
Best Eyeliner for Sensitive Eyes – Buying Guide
We need to look for the most important term whenever we think of the best eyeliner for sensitive eyes – hypoallergic. Eyeliners for sensitive eyes are also termed as hypoallergenic eyeliners in general. But the term doesn’t really hold to its true meaning in the present day.
Factors to Look for to Choose the Best Eyeliner for Sensitive Eyes
Even the standard eyeliners also come with this term but don’t work for the function intended. In such cases, we need to look for some vital aspects before grabbing the safe and the best one. Never miss out on the following aspects when you are looking for a hypoallergenic eyeliner.
The most crucial thing that we can’t miss is to know the presence of allergens. There might be many toxins by default, or there are chances of safe substances causing reactions. Though we ignore these in the case of the other products, eyes are too crucial to ignore. Blindness, redness, and irritation are some harmful results of lousy eyeliner. So, before buying one, check for the presence of the following things:
Parabens – Methylparaben, Butylparaben, and Propylparaben, are some allergens that are harsh on the skin. These are a kind of preservatives that deposit on the skin and lead to reactions. Be it an eyeliner or any cosmetic, ensure that there are no parabens in it.
Alcohols – The main problem with alcohol is that they absorb all the moisture from the skin. If an eyeliner contains alcohol, it absorbs all the water from them and causes dryness leading to irritation. So, this is something that we need to avoid.
Mica – Usually made of silicates and minerals, mica is used to give texture and color to cosmetics. Though it is tested and declared safe, it is best to avoid mica when you have sensitive eyes.
Dimethicone – It is a form of silicone and comes out of sand used to give lubrication to smooth application cosmetics. If you have sensitive eyes, it is advisable to avoid silicones to avoid further reactions.
Herbal Extracts – Some of us are allergic to some type of plants and their extracts. So, before buying an herbal-based eyeliner, cross-check if you are allergic to any specific plant.
Fragrance – There isn’t any harm in using an eyeliner that comes with a fragrance, but it is known to be one of the allergy reasons. When the eyes are already sensitive, it is best to avoid fragrances.
Other Chemicals – Many allergens apart from the list mentioned above, like sulfates, Lanolin, BHA, etc. These are present in a wide range of cosmetics, including eyeliners. So, be very careful in choosing the suitable one.
This are the general list of suspects that can play with our eyes and damage them. In the first place, check with these before anything else.
- Waterproof Products:
One part of sensitive eyes is frequent watering of them. Though this isn’t seen in all the cases, if we don’t use proper eyeliner, there are maximum chances of watery eyes. In those cases, waterproof and smudge-proof eyeliners are a perfect companion. Waterproof eyeliners are an excellent choice for people who use contact lenses and those who live in humid areas. The only thing we need to remember here is that these liners require waterproof removers to erase the eyeliner completely.
- Type of Eyeliner:
Sometimes, though we choose a hypoallergenic eyeliner, we might end up irritating our eyes by mistakenly touching the eyeballs. We need to understand that hand stability is a must for proper application without touching the eyeballs. If you feel you aren’t good at applying an eyeliner correctly or if you are a beginner, it is best to start with a pencil eyeliner.
Gel and other eyeliner types are very risky in those cases as a pencil touching the eye’s interior wouldn’t cause much damage as a gel would do. Pencil liners are the best for those with unsteady hands and beginners. Liquid and gel eyeliners serve the best for people who have experience with liners.
Some eyeliners are so annoying that we need to re-apply them again and again. Each liner comes with a different life based on the formula used in manufacturing it. We can choose between a wide range of products with different staying capacities. If you’re looking for a whole day stay, go for a liner that can last up to 8-12 hours. If we require a makeup remover to erase an eyeliner, that liner stays for the whole day.
Choosing a color is confusing, right? I mean, look at the choices we have! Is there any color that isn’t available in the eyeliners? We can choose colors based on different occasions. The standard choice is black. But this might fail you if you have very fair skin. For beginners, brown or light gray would be appropriate.
For special occasions, go for a liner that makes the eyes stand out from everyone around. If you wish to go for a common choice, neutral shades will fit perfectly with every look and occasion. Ideally, it is always best to go with a shade that almost matches our eyes’ natural color. Different liners we can choose based on eye colors are as follows:
Dark Brown Eyes – Darker colors like black, black-brown, dark blue, etc., suit the best. These shades make the eyes look deep and rich.
Light Brown Eyes – Green, dark-blue, and plum colors set the amber eyes correctly, giving us a stunning look.
Blue Eyes – Bronze, copper, and brown tones make these eyes look brighter and enrich them perfectly.
Green Eyes – For a vibrant look, people with green eyes can go with violet and purple shades.
We know that different types of eyeliners give strokes with different thicknesses based on their tips. A felt-tip liner gives a thick stroke, while a liquid liner gives thin yet sharp strokes. Pencil liners can do both, i.e., either a thick stroke or a thin one. So, based on individual preferences, we can choose the eyeliner with the required strokes.
Eyeliner finish is another factor we need to consider. While some give a matte finish, the others deliver a glossy look. Matte eyeliners are perfect for subtle looks without overpowering makeup. Glossy eyeliners work wonders with vibrant looks. Some liners deliver shimmer to complement daytime looks, and the others balance night looks with flecks. Appropriate choice efficiently balances the whole look and holds everything in place.
- Skin Tone:
Wonder how skin tone can decide an eyeliner? Skin is all over the body, right? A wrong shade can ruin the entire look. For a fair skin tone, a true-black liquid type eyeliner isn’t the right choice. So, better to avoid that. It is best to altogether avoid liquid liners if your skin tone is fair. Black liners work well with medium and dark skin tones. Brown gel eyeliners are suitable for fair skin tones.
Tests to Confirm Eyes’ Sensitivity:
So, these are some essential factors we need to consider to buy the best eyeliner for sensitive eyes. But how do we know if our eyes are sensitive or not? As I already mentioned, some women get sensitive eyes condition as a result of various reasons. We like to try out products from different brands, right? Some might suit, but the others might harm us in an undisclosed way. So, ensure if your eyes are sensitive before looking for a liner in the following ways:
An immediate result of sensitive eyes is, as soon we apply eyeliner, we observe red spots or rashes in specific areas accompanied by itching and burning sensation in the eyes. This clearly suggests eyes’ sensitivity, and we need to look for a hypoallergenic eyeliner.
Another confirmation of sensitive eyes is a swelling of the eyes or nearby areas after an eyeliner’s application. Itching and discomfort sometimes follow the swellings, suggesting us to use a hypoallergenic liner.
Apart from red spots, we might observe a bump after we apply a liner or any cosmetics. It isn’t necessarily the case that blisters appear as soon as we apply makeup. They might appear after some time as well. So, observe them carefully.
Burning sensation, watery eyes, and itching are also signs of sensitive eyes. Sometimes, the sensitivity might be too severe that the eyes become red after the use of makeup. This is a vital sign of understanding that we need to use safe cosmetics.
Useful Eyeliner Tips for Sensitive Eyes:
We are well aware of the problems with sensitive eyes. Would we let it ruin our look? No! Here are some useful tips related to hypoallergenic eyeliners:
- Avoid sharing your liners with others when you have sensitive eyes. Doing so might transfer some allergens from them, and this can be problematic to us.
- If the itching, burning sensation, and watery eyes are troubling so much, consult a professional and use suitable eye drops for relief.
- Before believing in any product, test it on yourself and see the reactions yourself. Remember a crucial fact that each body is entirely different from all the others.
- Lightweight formulated eyeliners go easy with sensitive eyes. So, search for such hypoallergenic liners that are light inconsistency.
- To have the liner on the eyes for hours without causing dryness, pigmented liners are an excellent choice.
- Try your best to lay hands on waterproof eyeliners as there is nothing better than them for watery eyes.
- Go for vegan eyeliners as they aren’t harsh with the eyes. Natural ingredients are always better than mixed chemicals.
- Before buying any cosmetic, check the ingredients and physically verify its result before buying. Once you are sure of the results, you can directly pick it up the next time without testing it again.
- Smudge-proof liners are a blessing for sensitive eyes. Though we rub the eyes out of irritation or if the eyes are runny, we don’t have to re-apply the liners and stay without worries.
Best Eyeliner for Sensitive Eyes Reviews
As we have most information handy, let’s see some famous and best-selling eyeliners on amazon.com.
The Neutrogena eyeliner is one best liquid eyeliner for sensitive eyes. With toxin-free ingredients and best results, it comes with the following features:
- It is a highly pigmented eyeliner and comes in jet-black color.
- It is waterproof, smudge-proof, and the stroke lines don’t quickly melt or crack.
- It gives a sharp, dramatic, and clean look effortlessly.
- The natural coconut and honey formula aids in a quick-drying and long-lasting look.
- It gives a perfect look in a single stroke and is gentle on sensitive eyes.
Maybelline is a trusted brand for most cosmetics. Known to be one best eyeliner for watery eyes, this product from Maybelline comes with the following features:
- With a brush tip, this liner gives smooth strokes that perfectly fits with our eye’s shape.
- It is smudge-proof and lasts up to twenty-four hours with an intense black look.
- Maybelline uses completely safe ingredients in making this hypoallergenic eyeliner.
- It gives a satin finish look after each application.
- The specially designed flex brush absorbs friction to give an even look.
This gluten-free, hypoallergenic eyeliner from the Fifth & Skin store is one of the best eyeliner for sensitive eyelids. It comes with the following features:
- It is an entirely natural or vegan-made eyeliner especially manufactured for sensitive eyes.
- It lasts for the whole day without a smudge.
- It is free of allergens like parabens, gluten, lead, petroleum, and is fragrance-free.
- It is made of castor oil and jojoba oil, which have the power to heal eyelashes and increase their growth.
- It is water-resistant and easily portable without leakage worries.
This hypoallergenic eyeliner from Burt’s Bees is the best choice for beginners as it is pencil-type. It comes with the following features:
- It comes in a warm brown shade and perfectly suits women with a fair skin tone.
- It is a pencil type liner suitable for beginners and those who aren’t confident in giving perfect strokes.
- It is made out of natural ingredients like jojoba, mango oil, etc.
- It is safe for sensitive eyes and for women who use contact lens as well.
- It is free of allergens like parabens, silicones, synthetic fragrances, etc.
This deep charcoal waterproof eyeliner from Marcelle is widely preferred by most women with sensitive eyes. It comes with the following features:
- It is available in different colors apart from charcoal color to compensate for every occasion.
- It is waterproof, smudge-proof, and effortless to apply.
- It gives matte, and pearl shade looks as well.
- Marcelle’s eyeliner is dermatologist tested and fragrance-free.
- It comes with an ultraprecise tip to give a wide range of looks, including smoky and cat eyes.
This kohl-type eyeliner from the Annabelle brand is available in two different shades and offers the following features to its users:
- It is a kohl-type gel eyeliner with a matte finish.
- It is specially designed to use inside the waterline without any irritations.
- Annabelle uses safe ingredients like jojoba oil in the making of this eyeliner.
- It is a fragrance-free and long-lasting hypoallergenic eyeliner.
- It is available in two stunning color variants – Beige and Blackest Black.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a good eyeliner for sensitive eyes?
A specially designed hypoallergenic eyeliner is a suitable choice for sensitive eyes. Some best eyeliners for sensitive eyes are listed above for reference.
What is the best hypoallergenic eyeliner?
Many brands, like Maybelline, Neutrogena, etc., manufacture the best hypoallergenic eyeliners. We can choose one among these based on personal choices.
What is the best eye makeup for very sensitive eyes?
As sensitive eyes are too severe to ignore, we need to search for a specially designed hypoallergenic makeup range for this condition.
How do you apply eyeliner to sensitive eyes?
We shouldn’t press the liner too hard while applying. We need to ensure that the liner gives a perfect look in a single stroke to not stress the eyes too much.
What kind of eyeliner is best for waterline?
Leading and the best manufacturers like Anabelle produce the finest quality eyeliners, especially for application inside the waterline.